Beyond the Pale

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Fished Saturday with Mr. Fish and Adrian (who has not joined yet :cry: ) at the Schuylkill River. The target of the morning was carp - Mr. Fish has developed an obsession with those toothless corn eaters and for **** good reason; he has a bunch in the 20 lb. plus range. They fight like a freight train come off the tracks.

However, I am bored while waiting for them to slurp up the bait and my luck for them sucks! I usually spend my time casting for bass while waiting, which is fine, becuase in this river a good carp spot is almost always a good bass spot as well! This day was the same, the spot was not producing much in the way of carp or bass, ****!

I did amuse myself by taking photos of a cool looking praying mantis that stopped by to visit us:

October_smallies_010.jpg

October_smallies_009.jpg

October_smallies_0031.jpg

Praying Mantis are considered bringers of Good Luck in many cultures, in China they are considered a sign that a dead relative is watching over you when they are near. I am super, superstitious about fishing so anything that is good luck is fine by me!

We did manage a few carp:

October_smallies_0021.jpg

October_smallies_0011.jpg

And later in the day found some Small Mouth that were hungry, nothing of great size, but a few nice fish.

Sunday, I went with the wife to get some pumpkins for the Great TinBoats.net Carving Contest. I named mine "Smiley" and "Smashy"

Also stopped for a few hours at a pond that the wife found behind the mall (of course). Well, at least she was looking out while shopping. It did not look promising as it was real muddy adn shallow, but after about 15 minutes a small LM Bass came charging out to hit my 4" senko as I was twitching it near the surface. Made my day to find bass there!

I managed to catch a half dozen all about 12" and few real small bass (6") in the mix. I will be back to see if I can find mom and dad bass this spring. The bass were super pale, almost no black stripe and very pale green on top.

October_smallies_013.jpg

esquired said:
However, I am bored while waiting for them to slurp up the bait and my luck for them sucks!

I aggree with ya 100% on this, thats what makes bassin' with lures or plastics so fun..... your always doing something. I get great satisfaction knowing that I caught a bass because of my presentation or an semi-educated guess of where to cast.

Cool pics of the mantis.

I am very suprised the day wasn't more producing. At least we didn't get the skunk.

Latest posts