Bigfoot switch splice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gartooth

Reaction score
Greetings.

I am doing some mods to an Alumacraft 1236 which include installing a Bigfoot trolling motor switch. I would like the switch mounted on the bow platform and the battery at the stern. The purpose of this set up is to stand on the bow and turn on/off the motor to push across shallow flats. The boat is "steered" with a short pole used to prod the bow left or right in shallow water while the trolling motor pushes from behind. Sounds strange... works good and keeps the deck free of stuff that tangles fly line.

Anyway.... This requires approx 30 ft. of + wire extension (15' from motor to switch and 15' from switch back to motor). 12V system with 45lb MK troller. Charts show to use 6 gauge wire to handle amperage and length.

My question is:

What is the best method of splicing the 6 gauge extension to the 10 gauge switch and trolling motor leads (no soldering please)?

Thanks,
Casey

You could use a Junction Block with lugs on the ends of the cables. You'd need to cover it with a boot.

Or you could use Butt connectors and heat shrink, but it's gonna take a pretty big crimping tool to crimp those.

Edit...oops, didn't see that you need to go from 6 to 10...junction block is probably the easiest for that...not butt connectors.

Latest posts