boat anchor setup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zum said:
What's an anchor for?

It's to keep your boat from banging on the shore while you go to get the truck or from drifting away while you are in the water for some reason (or at least that is what mine is primarily used for :mrgreen: )

You know...me being not to bright and all.Using the idea of the anchor,to keep the boat from banging on the rocks while I get the truck,is a great idea.So simple...just drop it off the stern,hop on shore off the bow...no more banging on the rocks...is that how you do it?
I don't how many times I wished the wind would calm down,think my 15lbs anchor would be heavy enough.

That's how I do it. Stop the boat out in knee deep water and let the anchor hold it until I can get the trailer in the water.

If the wind is blowing directly offshore, you can put the anchor on dry ground and just let the boat drift out. :wink:

I pull up to the dock and use 2 dock lines from my cleats to the cleats on the dock to keep my boat in place when I go get the truck. Works well to keep it from both drifting away and from banging it to rocks.

I tie to the courtesy dock as well when there is one to tie off to.

Several of the public ramps on KY and Barkley Lakes do not have them. Winter storms and big swells take a toll on the state provided docks. They only replace the ones that get destroyed as often as money and state labor allow.

Sometimes it is also a lot faster to anchor near the shoreline than wait on a parade of loading/unloading boats to take turns with the courtesy dock.

Guess I'm spoiled then. The only places I fish have plenty of dock space. Might be why I fish there. If there isn't a place to tie up I don't launch there. I'm not wading to get in the boat. Too old and clumsy to be climbing in and out of the boat too.

No docks here at any of my launches,except salt water.
So do you jump to shore or get wet,in the knee deep water.
I think I'll try putting the bow as close to shore as I can get then jump:).
I'm still going to have the "rocks" issue when launching as I tie my bow line to my truck to get it to shore.Oh well.

In the summer, I'm wearing flip flops and shorts so being wet isn't an issue. If it is cold and I know there won't be a courtesy dock, I will throw my hip waders in the truck.

I generally fish alone, which makes unloading interesting if I dont want to get wet. I throw my anchor on shore and pusht he boat off the trailer and let it float into the lake. Park the truck and pull the boat back to shore via the anchor line, push off/climb in at the same time.

I generally Crappie fish and use both anchors to put the port side facing teh crib with the wind blowing at my back. This keeps me opn teh crib and the wind/spray out of my face.

I rarely use an anchor.Usually if I'm fishing bottom for catfish.I'm almost constantly moving when I fish for bass,crappie or other pan fish.

Latest posts