Brother's Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krusher

Reaction score
well my brother and I finally dug it out of the snow and got the boat home.
we bought it sight unseen and mostly because of the motor and side console.
i have no idea the make of the boat, but the motor looks to be a 92 mercury classic 40.
we got it home to a heated garage and started ripping everything out.
i'm posting pictures of what we have and will continue to let you all know how
the porgress is coming.

Attachments

• phputTuZTAM.jpg
    phputTuZTAM.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 4,036
  • phpNUf71PAM.jpg
    phpNUf71PAM.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,035
  • phpaak7UKAM.jpg
    phpaak7UKAM.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,031
  • phpI4mLgoAM.jpg
    phpI4mLgoAM.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4,037
awesome boat! that is going to be one helluva project when you get into it! take a lot of pictures and show us everything!

well we took the motor off and gutted the inside down to the floor. when we make templates out of the exsisting floor we''ll rip that out as well. seems to be solid. when we took the lid off the motor , the inside was clean and looked brand new. will have to look around to see if we can find a used trim kit for the motor. next step is to rip out the floor and fill it with water to check for leaks.

Attachments

• php5aybfBPM.jpg
    php5aybfBPM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,897
  • phpo80q3MPM.jpg
    phpo80q3MPM.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,910
  • phpUyKa8NPM.jpg
    phpUyKa8NPM.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,916
  • phpXB2hXtPM.jpg
    phpXB2hXtPM.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 3,923
  • phpUyKa8NPM.jpg
    phpUyKa8NPM.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 3,922
  • phprqLs0mPM.jpg
    phprqLs0mPM.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 3,934
  • phpOm4pWwPM.jpg
    phpOm4pWwPM.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3,941
wow - I love the depth of that... I would defintely feel secure in that rig.

I can't wait to see your improvements - I will definitely be following this one for sure!

ben2go said:
That's a sweet deep V.Good buy.

That is actually a semi vee. The determination of such is measured at the transom. If it has less than 22 degrees of deadrise (from horizontal) but more than zero, it is a semi vee. If it has more than 22, it is a deep vee.

Looks like a very well built rig. One thing that sticks out on that is the double riveting. Very few companies do that. Lund is one of the few that comes to mind (known for being VERY solid boats. Having owned one, well dad owns one, I can vouch for their durability).

Post a couple pictures of the top transom corner gussets, and of the bow cover and light. It is looking familiar to me, but I don't have quite enough to tell for sure the make....

well we got the floor up and the bottom of the boat looks pretty good. after blasting the ribs out with water to release years of pine needles we filled the boat up with water. while going over the boat we also decided to redo the transom. it seemed alright but if we're going to paint the boat and it's all gutted, might as well throw a fresh piece of wood back there. i also included a pic of the corner gusset, it might be a starcraft?

Attachments

• phpkScN4jAM.jpg
    phpkScN4jAM.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,808
  • phpKqc1rlAM.jpg
    phpKqc1rlAM.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,817
  • phpKqc1rlAM.jpg
    phpKqc1rlAM.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,822
  • phpqnwy4TAM.jpg
    phpqnwy4TAM.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,823
  • phpkgwf6xAM.jpg
    phpkgwf6xAM.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,831
  • phpfaSnTCAM.jpg
    phpfaSnTCAM.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3,839
Looks like a great project.
Took a ton of weight out,did you give the dimensions of the boat?
Was the outboard advertized as in running condition?

the boat is 16.5 feet long, 54 inches at transom and 62 inches where the console would be. the boat was purchased from a guy my brother works with. they fired the boat up with earmuffs so everything is okay with the motor. the motor is nice and clean and seems to be fine.

krusher said:
well we got the floor up and the bottom of the boat looks pretty good. after blasting the ribs out with water to release years of pine needles we filled the boat up with water. while going over the boat we also decided to redo the transom. it seemed alright but if we're going to paint the boat and it's all gutted, might as well throw a fresh piece of wood back there. i also included a pic of the corner gusset, it might be a starcraft?

It might be a old Lonestar. My dad and I restored a 26' Lonestar when I was a kid and I remimber a star on it. Not sure what the star looked like, getting old I guess!!

today i decided to try sanding the boat. we priced out to get it powder blasted and i figured i'd rather spend $50 in sanding discs and labour, and save the powder blast money for other necessities. it didn't go too bad. what you see in the picture is about 2 hours , six or eight sanding discs and 3 beers later. the only problem was i should of checked how bad the dust was, the garage was covered. i'm going to see how much i can get done today in time to go to a poker/superbowl party. hopefully come home with some cash.

Attachments

• phpDPBJGXAM.jpg
    phpDPBJGXAM.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,062
  • phpgPsZnZAM.jpg
    phpgPsZnZAM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,064
The rivet line in the bow looks wrong for Starcraft boats. My first thought as well was Lone Star, but I haven't actually seen one of them in person to see the star on the gusset. However, I think that is the same star that they used in their logo. I don't think Starcraft has ever been affiliated with stars.

That is a starcraft - 0 doubt. I have one and it has the same star in the corner brace.

And for the record, I really wish I had that boat. Mine is only 14'.

finally finished sanding the boat. i started using 120 - 150 grit paper, but that took too long to cut through the red paint. i finished the rest of the boat with 60 grit and featherd it in with 220 grit. when that was completed we went through the whole process of priming the boat. it turned out awesome. the first coat went on great. we will sand it down, throw on another coat and then flip the boat to paint the bottom. right now i am having my alluminum made up for the front and back casting deck and hopefully pick up some plywood for the floor and decks.

Attachments

• phpibRLAnPM.jpg
    phpibRLAnPM.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,064
  • phpIGpKqgPM.jpg
    phpIGpKqgPM.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,064
  • phpTMMFWHPM.jpg
    phpTMMFWHPM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • phpLPvAIGPM.jpg
    phpLPvAIGPM.jpg