Buying Checklist....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet1932

Reaction score
Hello....my name is Brian and this is my first post. I have been looking into buying a used Jon boat to fix up. Sorry if there is another thread on this....I searched but I couldn't find anything specific.

I know the size and everything I want. My question is when I go to look at a used boat....what should I look for to see if it's a good boat. My question is specific to the boat (and maybe trailer). I am willing to paint and fix....so I am more concerned with structure issues, leaks, or any other issues.

If you were buying a boat....what would you look for? Should I require a test drive/float? I understand I can fill with water to check for leaks.....but it sounds like a long process to ask the seller to wait around for.

Title? I heard that if it does not have a title don't mess with it....true?

All weld vs. rivets..... Do rivets cause a headache? Should I avoid?

Welcome to TinBoats Brian.
Your state may need the craft to be titled. Mine does.
I start with the hull of a boat. check damage ,hey if used it is likely.Most dents and scratches are no problem,eye catchers get a view from other side for possible repair points.. The keel for me needs to be intact from any deep creases running width of boat or major dents towards floor and attached well full length. Looked at one boat where the entire floor had buckled full width. L.o.l.. Next is the transom. Wood condition if applicable, good and solid all of it..Peek in any corners for dryrot. Right in front of transom at floor there is usually water last to leave or dry. Look for corrosion there. Any bracing for tightness . Corners on rear of boat are checked for cracks and many long used craft have cracked corners on one particular brand.If riveted look for rivets that have moved a bit or are obviously loose. Welded then check for cracked welds,or better put along sides of welds.I have no problems with riveted boats.One we owned years ago was put through the wringer and had a few that would groan when pulling skiers or tubers but no leaks big enough to worry about.
Look at lots of boats. Even those you are not interested in seriously.
A daughter and I looked at many and she became adapt at inspecting them too. There are boats that will be alright awhile,those that need work to use,and good solid ones ready to go.Looking at enough you can pretty well tell where the boat falls in a category. If you don,t want to replace or repair any faults ,say a transom for example, check it first when approaching a boat for sale. Many times it is a two minute look and on to the next boat because what was needed was not what we were looking for but would have been good bargaining chips.
Hull,Keel,transom,braces,fasteners or welds. Repair requirements may allow you freedom of bidding if known and you are willing to do them or know what it will cost to pay or barter with someone to repair. Your tolerance will likely differ in order but look at a few. Happy hunting.
If a trailer involved again a title. Also when were bearings serviced last? Before winter storage would be nice. On those that sat along time I just replace them.Cleaning old ones after usually confirm it was a good idea. Check welds on trailer and springs and attachments.Check coupler latch for function and a quick peek for any major rust or corrosion. Wiring for lights need to match tow vehicle or adapter used.Check latch on winch for weak or broken spring not holding it in place to crank when pulling. A safety chain should be attached to secure area of bow.Not real sure where on a flat bottomed boat.

I had a lot of the same questions, and I can't add too much, but I will say this:

be patient!

I sort of rushed in to buying myself a project boat, and at this point I am pretty sure I overpaid. Not to mention I ended up getting screwed on the trailer title which makes for a real hassle getting it registered. I would avoid anything with title issues if you plan on registering or doing a transfer.

As far as weld vs. rivet, I would compare that to arguing Mac vs PC, or Intel vs AMD if you're a tech person. Both can be very good depending on the person using them. I have an all rivet boat that is almost 40 years old with no leaks and was not that well taken care of prior to my owning it. So I wouldn't focus on that as much as other aspects of the purchase unless you would really feel more comfortable buying a welded boat.

Ideally, you could ask him to take it out on the water with you also if both of you are willing and able. Some guys would be glad to prove their boat to a prospected buyer to sell the boat. If you just look at the boat before buying it, look for any pronounced dents, scratches, cracks or other anomaly in it. Small minor items you may find are usually pretty easy to fix or get repaired. If you do find a problem you are unsure of maybe you can talk him down on the price if he will not let you check into it any further. Titles are a different story. If it does not have a title you may have a very hard time registering it. When I sold my boat to my brother with a clear title we still had a heck of a time getting it finally transferred to his name. It was more hassle than it should have been. That makes me leery of buying another boat. I don't remember having that issue when I purchased it.

Awesome...thanks for all the replies!! Much appreciated! I agree with being patient...that may be the hardest part.