cleaning aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief0902

Reaction score
just purchased a new 18' 52'' blazer and had a few cleaning polishing questions. Whats everyone using to clean their boats, had a guy tell me eagle one mag wheel cleaner works good? anything you can put on it after cleaning to help prevent scum line/oxidation? i've seen some blazers with a mirror finish, once boats are polished to that finish how long will they stay that shiny or do they return to the normal dull aluminum look? any input is appreciated

At work we use an aluminum acid wash on the diesel tanks of our plow trucks....salt does a number on it. Not sure of the name buy I'll check it out and post tomorrow. Have to be very careful though....it etches if forgotten or even waited on longer than the foaming. I use automotive wax after that to hold back oxidation.

Acid = white aluminum

I would cringe to hear of that stuff touching a new blazer hull.

In another thread on this forum there is alot of discusion on this very same topic. Check it out.
They talk of that sharkhide stuff. Suposedly a little pricey but really protects the aluminum.

I have the same thought about protecting that polished aluminum look. It may have been the thread I was on because Sharkhide was recommended to me. It is pricey though about $60 a quart from what I have seen. I can strip the paint and buff it to a polished look I am just not sure as to how to keep it. I have given though to a automotive aluminum rim clear coat its about $8 a can. I figured if it could handle the heat from the brakes and salt and grime from the road it might be able to handle being in fresh water. What do you guys think?

I don't think the clear would hold on very well. Aluminium is hard to get anything to stick to let alone polishing it then painting on it. I've never had paint out of a spray can be anywhere near as durable as automive grade stuff you spray out of a gun. I used to try to paint with it before I learned how to use a gun and it is a night and day diffrence on how well it adheres compared to stuff from a spray can. That's just my two cents.

Yeah I guess I would be a little hesitant to put the acid wash on a pretty new hull too. I don't really notice the whitening od the aluminum on the diesel tank though...probably because it looks so horrible before I use the wash. Sharkhide does work..but as said, very spendy. Just buff it everytime it gets dirty lol. On a serious note.. toon brite works well. That's all I got. I paint pretty aluminum.

Thanks guys....I will have to check out the toon brite product and stay away from the clear coat brake paint. I would like the final product to look something like this with the polished aluminum tappering up the side.

Attachments

• 100_1361.jpg
    100_1361.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,999
there is a product for sale that is used on aluminum tool boxes put in PU trucks. Designed to be used on the tread plate aluminum to keep it shining. I haven't used it but have seen it at Lowes where the bed boxes are.

My advice, pay someone to do it or buy a monkey and a dozen bannanas it's a pain!lol. In all seriousness If you just bought a new blazer I think you got the short end of the stick because blazer just started factory polishing their boats, man they look good. Once the boat is mirror polished to keep it looking good, mix a squirt bottle with half water and half white vineger. squirt it down and wipe it down every time you use it and it will look the same all the time. squirt it every 5 times you go and you will keep most of the funk off of it. The polish job will last for a summer or 2 before it needs to be touched up again. hope this helps.

hey chief,
I'm about to purchase a 1852 Blazer in the not so distant future?
Where did you buy yours, you happy with the size?
what horsepower you puttin on it?

Used some alumabrite on my old boat today. Really cleaned every scum line and grime off but does have a whitish look now

Here is a before and after of alumabrite on my 1648 alumaweld.

It cleaned it up good and really fast.

I know I said I wouldn't use it on a new blazer, and I still wouldn't but it was perfect for this job.

afteralumabrite.jpg

I used a product called Zing. $10 at a local boat shop. It's acid based and really cleaned up the pontoons. It did brighten them up a lot. You can see pics in my thread below. If the boat is new, I'd probably look at Sharhidefor that polished look.

For the real grimy stuff, I've found carb cleaner will take it right off. Only problem is, unless you intend to carb-clean your entire hull, that stuff will get one spot super clean, and its tough to get the rest to match #-o

i bought it from fred at current river marine, love the boat it has the full back deck with livewell and raise up hatch to acess the tank and batteries. i had a 2000 60/40 merc 2stroke i put on it. It pushes the boat good, prolly 28ish with 2 200lb+ guys and fishing gear. when i wear that motor out i'll prolly go with a 90. i used some eagle one mag wheel cleaner the other day and almost fainted! got it real clean but looked like it had been dunked in white milk! so i've spent the past 3 days with some mothers mag and aluminum polish making it shine again

I polished my boat with a wool buffing pad attached to a drill starting out with medium cut buffing compound then going to fine compound then I polished it up with mothers mag and aluminium polish. It wasn't to bad but I only had one buffing pad and I had to fix the thing about 4 diffrent times before I finished polishing it. I could shave in it if I needed to. Pics aren't very good.

Attachments

• 105_1485.JPG
    105_1485.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 105_1487.JPG
    105_1487.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,468
View attachment 2,,u want someone to polish youre boat, give these guys from the bluff a call 5733009557 they can make a boat look like its been chromed!!!!!!View attachment 1,,,,they will also apply a protective coating to the boat and keep it looking good,these guys r good at what they do....

Attachments

• boats   and misc pics 340.JPG
    boats and misc pics 340.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,404
  • boats   and misc pics 335.JPG
    boats and misc pics 335.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,404
  • boats   and misc pics 341.JPG
    boats and misc pics 341.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,404
atuck593 said:
I have the same thought about protecting that polished aluminum look. It may have been the thread I was on because Sharkhide was recommended to me. It is pricey though about $60 a quart from what I have seen. I can strip the paint and buff it to a polished look I am just not sure as to how to keep it. I have given though to a automotive aluminum rim clear coat its about $8 a can. I figured if it could handle the heat from the brakes and salt and grime from the road it might be able to handle being in fresh water. What do you guys think?
the shark hide protectant is some great stuff if u know how to apply it, it will not flake chip or scratch,,, when applied right acid (aluminum brightner),will not even affect the shine that it is protecting i use this on every boat i polish and one qrt of this stuff will do about 5 boats,,, well worth the money

That boat looks awesome.

When I upgrade to a Blazer SS this winter, I will deffinetly have them polish it up.

We are going to paint my boat sometime this week I think.

Upgrade to a blazer will deffeinetly be on hold til winter since im going to have a big chunk o money in my motor now.

Sending it off to Springfield to have bored.

If your buying a new Blazer you can buy them with a factory polished option, no one can come close to getting there boats polished like those things.

Latest posts