Cracks and more cracks(pics)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

Reaction score
Bought this boat about three months and have used the crap out of it since then without any issues. Last trip out I made about a mile run to fish and found I was taking on a bunch of water so I turned around and took the boat out of the water to find the crack pictured with 3 smaller buddies. All right around the middle seat with the biggest one being right under it. Once I lifted the floor up i found about 4 cracks in the braces from the top right down the middle of the rivet. I know nothing about fixing alum or rivets other than what ive picked up here so does anyone have anysuggestions?

Im thinking steelflex but should I get the cracks in the hull welded first? Im thinking steelflex would seal it but it might not be too safe. And what do I do about the braces? seems welding them would be a waste of time, but I dont know.

My pride and joy
DSC00319.jpg

the biggest crack and only one that takes on water, looks like a smiley face huh?
DSC00333.jpg

This is one of the cracks in the brace, theres about 4 of these.
DSC00327.jpg

Thanks guys

Dallas

I would get them welded, but not with a mig welder those need to be done with a tig. If you did not have access to a welder then you could get a piece of aluminum and fit it to the bottom. Then take a small drill bit and drill out the ends of the cracks so that they will stop. Then fit the plate on again and drill out some holes that you can fit some pop rivets in. Take some 5200 and apply it to the plate and put it to the hull and install the pop rivets. Once it gets hard it will not leak again, however this will not resolve the problem your having with the boat cracking in the first place.

Oh and BTW you could take strips of aluminum and fit them to the braces and pop rivet them to the brace to strengthen it. (if you did not have a welder)

huntinfool said:
Oh and BTW you could take strips of aluminum and fit them to the braces and pop rivet them to the brace to strengthen it. (if you did not have a welder)

This is what I did on the inside I took 3/4" Aluminum angle and pop riveted it into place to support a bad rib. Underneath I used aluminum brazing rods to fill the crack in then went over it with JB weld followed by 2 coats of steel flex.

Looks to me like it may be caused by the roller bunks. Once you get it fixed get rid of the rollers and reconfigure your trailer for slat bunks (bunk boards); there are lots of horror stories on here about roller bunk trailers.

Like the others have said you will proly need to get those welded and braced. Bolstering the braces on top is a good way to strengthen it; welding it out like Huntinfool said will proly be the strongest set for the bottom cracks. Steelflex will not keep it from leaking again by its self; any subsequent flexing will cause the steelfelex to spall and it will leak again.

Have it TIG welded and it will last many more years. A good welder will also recommend the right extra bracing or patchwork you may need.

Get rid of the roller bunks.

Rat- the roller shown in the pic is one of two rollers that are in between the bunks on my trailer. I suppose if there is too much pressure there it could be cause though. All three cracks are right around that one roller. hmmmm. thanks for the tip.