depth finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil-Buddy23

Reaction score
when you are mounting the transducer on the transom is it supposed to hang below the bottom of the boat thanks

I dont think so. I called the Mfg of my sounder I bought from BassPro.
He said: "even tho that thing looks like a head light, the beam goes straight down out the bottom"
So as long as the cone of sound goes out the bottom and does not hit the boat, your OK. So mine is a half inch above the bottom and just off the transom.

If you mount the transducer too high you may loose your reading when your moving. Too low and you will shoot up a rooster tail when moving. I know from doing both :)

https://www.humminbird.com/PDF/Matrix_FF_install.pdf
Look at figure 22. It shows how Humminbird wants you to mount it.

It depends on whether you want it to read while you are running your motor. If you do, the bottom of the boat should line up with the split line of the transducer, which will put half of your transducer below the hull.

There should be instructions for mounting in your depth finder manual, if you have one.

You can look at this one as a general guide. Mounting instructions start on page 7 and the height is talked about on page 10.

https://www.eaglenav.com/upload/Eagle/Documents/Manuals/seafinder320df_0143-661_101602.pdf

I just installed my HB 385ci using the split line to bottom of my boat method..
This picture angle won't show it(looks lower) but from the side it is Transducer Split(middle) level with bottom of boat.
DSC01155.jpg

thanks alot that pic was what i needed mine is that same way i was worried that i had mounted it to low thanks for all the advice

lil-Buddy23 said:
thanks alot that pic was what i needed mine is that same way i was worried that i had mounted it to low thanks for all the advice
I live by the picture, no doubt when looking at a Picture,,,,here's a few more that really will show you the angles.... I used a Dow Rod under the boat to level things & the proper Transducer drop below the the bottom.((Also I made as "Level" as possible))
DSC01164.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

Thud,

It's crucial that you adjust the transducer to be level with the boat. Yours is pointing downward and this will give you erratic returns. Like in the pics provided the main idea is to have the seam of the transducer level with the bottom of the boat. Take a ruler or something long and straight and place it on bottom of the hull and extned it out and line your transducer seam up to that. HTH

thanks fish.
I row that boat, and back it up onto the beach so that Xducer gets moved all the time.
Normally when I launch I go back there and adjust it 'pretty' level :?

It works fine on my little shallow lake. Sometimes I can see the edges of the old creek bed pretty plain. There's a boat down there too. I've seen it two or three times, but its down nearly 70 feet.

What I've never figured out is the fish I see.
Someday I'll get an old 'dyed into the Wool' fisherman to go out with me and tell me what I'm looking at.

Normally I use that thing to show me the depth and contour for dropping my Catfish hooks.
Thanks for the care. You guys are good fellahs.
Dick

No problem,

The most important thing in using electronics is making sure it is setup correctly. It's funny cause I use a lowrance X67 for the ice and get a ton of grief from the oldtimers about my hippity duppity new electronics gizmo but I always outfish them 2 to 1.

Heres a great article on understanding sonar. https://www.bassresource.com/fishing/depthfinder_fishfinder.html , there are more links to articles at the bottom.

Like this article points out. Don't worry about marking a fish on your sonar because very rarely will that fish strike especially if it's in the open. What you want to concentrate on is learning the structure of what you are fishing. And thats what sonar is for. FInd the baitfish, find the right location , find the fish.

Hope this helps some.

Maybe you should start a lesson discussion on what we see and what it should mean to us when we see it.

Nawww I've had enough discussions, I want somebody in the boat to give me lessons. :lol:

Latest posts