Drainage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcscrap

Reaction score
I have a Lund 1648 that I am in the process of putting a floor in. The drain through holes are only in the center of the boat and on the small size. My plan is to use the pink foam board to fill in under the floor leaving 4"-6" on each side of the channel to allow the water to run back. My concern is any debris that may get down in there will plug these holes, has anyone run into this and what have you done? Thanks!

Jmcscrap said:
I have a Lund 1648 that I am in the process of putting a floor in. The drain through holes are only in the center of the boat and on the small size. My plan is to use the pink foam board to fill in under the floor leaving 4"-6" on each side of the channel to allow the water to run back. My concern is any debris that may get down in there will plug these holes, has anyone run into this and what have you done? Thanks!

Watching this as I'd have the same issue with my '72 Alumacraft that I'll be putting a floor into.

Those are 'limber' holes and I will say I've been known to CAREFULLY take a Dremel to the extrusions they may be formed into to make them bigger, even on boats without floors. If cut large enough, I would think a long plumbing snake used periodicially from bow to stern should keep them unplugged. I would think a heavy pressure washing could make things worse.

But how about this for a WILD idea that I just thought of? To get the concept, in the 2" PVC electrical rigging tube on my big boat, I put in a 24' piece of heavy weed whacker line or monofilament, where the tube is only 10' long. I have a simple 2-1/2" round plastic block (1/2" thick, cut by a hole saw) tied to each end so I can't lose the line inside the tube. I use this dummy line to help with the installation of new wires through that tube, by pulling wires from 1 end to the other. I coil the excess end up when not in use.

Do this in a similar manner, but use more than TWICE as long or longer than needed and put it in place through the limber holes, but tie in 'knots' every 8" to 12" that might help serve as little nubs to help clean the holes out. Flush with water just poured in from the bow.

Clearly the knots would need to be tied tight (use saliva or water before pulling tight) and be small enough to move through the holes. If you have room for them, a 'Figure 8' knot is good as it has length as well as width to them. And ... me thinks you might need 2 people to effectively do this, one pulling one way and the other pulling it back, to make it work. But hey ... it could!

Limber Holes.jpg

That may just be the ticket - I don't know about leaving it in place, but being able to "fish" something up there occasionally by enlarging the holes seems doable.

one other thought I had was just laying a piece of pvc tube along the top with holes drilled in the top - like a drain tile. That way if the holes plug in one area it will only fill to that height if water did enter the boat.

Jmcscrap said:
one other thought I had was just laying a piece of pvc tube along the top with holes drilled in the top - like a drain tile.
Not a bad idea either, as added insurance, but I'd put the holes anywhere from 1/2 way to more than 2/3rds of the way up. When you think about the weight of water, at 8.04-pounds per gallon, that little extra height, but spread across the entire hull, could add up to a heck of a lot of weight!

My floor is in sections. The floor covering, vinyl in my case, is wrapped around the edge of each section. There is a seam, but hardly of notice. If I need to access underneath, I can remove just the one section instead of the whole floor. If that centerline drain channel is a concern, perhaps you could have a 12" wide section of floor running right along the center line. Unscrew and lift it out to do clean out the crud. Just a thought. Might save some time/effort down the road.

LDUBS said:
perhaps you could have a 12" wide section of floor running right along the center line. Unscrew and lift it out to do clean out the crud. Just a thought. Might save some time/effort down the road.

An access panel of sorts - I like the idea of something like that, possible storage too!

Latest posts