First Jon Boat Purchase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadec

Reaction score
Hello. Newbie here and I will admit I know very little about boats.

I live on a lovely but unfortunately horsepower restricted lake (10 hp max). As the title states, I'm looking to purchase my first boat.

The only thing I've decided so far is that I want a welded 14 - 15 ft Jon and I intend to power it with a Yamaha 9.9.

I've been looking at the Tracker Grizzly 1448 and Lowe Roughneck 1546. Would love to hear some opinions on each of them. Also seeing as I'm limited on horsepower, would I be better off running a 9.9 high thrust instead of a regular 9.9?

Thx

Everyone is different, but here are my thoughts...

I like a wide stable boat so I would go with the 1448 over the 1546. You aren't going to gain anything really with an extra foot of hull length, but you will gain stability with the extra beam. A shorter and wider boat will have less draft (shallower water) and get on plane easier with the limited HP you have available. You can also hang a heavier motor on the transom with a wider hull (four stroke Vs. two stroke) with better performance at draft. Narrow hulls, by ratio, are a little more efficient on fuel.

Use the most HP you can. I know guys have even ran a 15 HP engine with a 9.9 cowling in restricted lakes. Not saying you should do this, but there it is. The high thrust is probably higher torque which is probably a four stroke Vs. a two stroke. Four strokes have better low end torque, better fuel economy, better idle performance and no fuel/oil mixing; but they weigh more. The improved low end torque will get you a better hole shot all things being equal but top speed will be the same.

I would go with the 1448 and a four stroke engine; up front I would have a 40-55 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor and dual batteries.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349078#p349078 said:
Rat » 17 Apr 2014 12:04 pm[/url]"]
I would go with the 1448 and a four stroke engine; up front I would have a 40-55 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor and dual batteries.

This would be my choice also!

Latest posts