First Time Mod Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acolic

Reaction score
Hi,

it looks like I'm going to be stuck with my 14' Semi V for a while so I'm really interested in making it a bit more usefull. what people have done with their boats on this web site is fantastic.

My boat is a Semi V 14' long, transom is 47", beam 57" and depth is 16".

A couple of questions:

1. I really like the idea of a platform over the front two bench seats with a raised seat. Any thoughts if my boat is wide enough to be stable in this configuration. Seems like the centre of gravity would be really high.

2. I've notice that some folks have used 2X2 wood and others aluminum channel to build platforms. Any pros/cons? Is the aluminum welded to the boat?

3. How are the 2x2 frames actually attached to the aluminum seats? Metal screws? The aluminum seats look thin.

thanks for the help.

Alex

Alex your boat is nearly the same size of mine and make (semi-V). The aluminum is riveted to the cross-members. I am not sure how the 2x2 is attached maybe via brackets and rivets. Although I havent modded mine I am planning to raise the bow deck to the level of the forward seat and adding a stern deck enough to cover the seat. I am doing this to just add a casting platform and create covered storage areas. The previous owner told me that it was once set up with pedistal seats and that may be something to consider later but I am afraid of stabilty problems. From what I have read the bow can be a bit sketchy once the person in the stern stands up. However it is done, raising the deck too high will make it tippy as the center of balance is raised. My plan is to fish it as it is currently and then add mods as I feel they are required. I may add some decking to the floor just to square it up and allow for better footing for the wife and kids.

There is a lot of info just search for casting deck.
Good luck

From what I've seen, the 2x2's can be attached with brackets, on top of riveted angle, or in my case, screwed from underneath with stainless steel screws.

I predrilled holes, lined up the 2x2's, and put the screws in from underneath through an existing opening so that they aren't visible.

Latest posts