First Time Post - Boat Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidN

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Have lurked for a while. I currently have a boat for sale and I am hoping to purchase a jon boat once I sell. I think ( hope I have it sold). There are two boats in my area.

One is a 12 Ft Gruman in Great Shape with a 9.9 Johnson

The other is this one

# 14' Sears Gamefisher Boat & Trailer
# 2 Seater w/ DepthFinder
# 35 HP Mercury Motor

I have looked at the boat mod on this forum of the 12 ft Lowes and really liked it. However, everyone in this forum recommends the 14ft. My real question is the 35 hp Merc on a 14 ft Jon Boat...is that too heavy of an engine for a small boat?

Thank you and I am glad to be a part of this forum

David

Welcome David.

If both boats are in sim shape, go with the 14. You will be happier with the larger size. My 14 has a 20hp and I wouldnt mind more but that is what was there and what the tag shows as max. Check for a spec tag near the rear of the boat for max hp. Im sure others have a 35.

I am sure that the Gamefisher isn't rated for 35, as I believe the only 14 footer Gamefisher made was a 1436, and they are generally rated for 15. I am sure that will be fast. I have a 1542 with a 40 that I estimate runs about 28 - 30, and my mods added a significant amount of weight to it.

Thank you for the replies...so it is safe to go over what is listed for the max? I am not looking too much for speed just a good fishing boat.

Thanks again what I need to do first is sell mine...but right now it is looking pretty good.

David

DavidN said:
Thank you for the replies...so it is safe to go over what is listed for the max? I am not looking too much for speed just a good fishing boat.

Thanks again what I need to do first is sell mine...but right now it is looking pretty good.

David

Welcome David! :beer:

There are 2 schools of thought on this. The guys that are willing to take a chance with the liability(get in to an accident and break something or hurt someone) to go over the max allowed (Even though it could be safe with common sense). And then there are those who just stay under or at the allowed maximum.

We have members here who do both.

Sometimes too much motor can be a bad thing, it will make for a crappy ride.

Welcome!

If this is all listed as a "package", then has the guy been running the 35? Ask him. Or, ask to take it to the water & see what it does.

ST

Latest posts