Help 12' V hull aluminum boat needs seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarrido

Reaction score
Hello all, I just got this boat with all needed papers. the owner made some wood seats but they come off and no foam at all. I'm trying to make a casting deck and 2 seats in the back so when the boat is moving me and son seat down. But I have no support what so ever. anyone have a nice idea or a nice plan guide I can use to make this work? Im thinking front a casting deck middle floor with foam and back a bench with 2 seats and maybe another seat in the front.
This is my boat the after is painted white (primer )
Im open to idea and all will be appreciated Thank you

I want to make it look similar to this boats :

I like the look of this one better because it have a floor in the middle

The back seats on this one i would like to be joint together to look like a U upside down.

Well sense no one has answered il put in my two sense and kick it back to the top.
For that boat I'd want some support across the boat to hold the sides together in rough water or what not. You could us aumnuim angle pieces pop riveted around the edges of the boat. Then fasten cross braces to that for your floor support and to hold to sides together.
I've heard fellas mention closed end rivets for fasting stuff to the sides of the boat. No idea what they are as I've never seen one but I'm sure someone can point you in the rite direction if you need help finding or using them.

Um edited to say by the way if you build the casting deck as high as the one in your pic at the bottom it might not be very stable to stand on. Try stacking up something to stand on. on the bow before making things permanent.

Here's a pic of mine. And the width at the tape measure is all most 51 inches.
Whats your measure around that point?
Mine has the seats in it under the decking and is all wood construction.

And a shot of those nose so you see the curve of my hull verses yours.
If I stand in front of the seat the boat just goes up and down no problem. But if I step beside that seat it will tip and sink down a lot. Il try fishing in it with out the seat this weekend. I've never pulled the seat when on the water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,246
Insanity said:
Sorry something eat the first pic. Had to retake it.

Insanity, what is the size of your boat? I have plans to build something similar...
Hows the buoyancy of the boat? Does it tip a lot?

12 ft. I tested it with and without the decking i could hardly tell a difference in depth or stability. It's 2x2 frame with 1/2 inch plywood. ( seal your plywood for rain) I'm guessing it weighs 30 pounds. With out a motor I had two batteries and about 30 pounds of steel weights in the back so I could sit up front and get the back to sit rite and track with the trolling motor.
I took the seat out today so I could walk around freely. It feels fine to me for a small boat. You got about two ft up front that only moves up and down then as you step back farther it rocks a little. You need some sea legs. If you get closer then one ft from the edge three to four ft back it sinks/tips pretty bad. I've tested it, it want roll over.
The curve of the v makes a big difference in stability as does the width.
Thats why I posted the front nose of mine. I thought it might be a more gentle curve then yours But after comparing best I could see yours they look close to the same. I think.
Your looks huge with out the seats.

I might take my back deck and seat out of mine. Because walking around back there is pretty tippy.
Your design should be fine.
Also my seat is to high for the tiller motor I just put on.

Oh and my storage compartments are boxes made out of 1/8 the inch flooring under layment. To save weight. They don't weigh more then 2 pounds. There caulked together with a fingers width of caulking. And the bottom is resting on a piece of 2x2 on the floor. Glued to the 2x2 to keep it in place with caulking. No framing around them to save weight. I used just regular adhesive house hold caulking. There stacked full of tackle boxes. And there holding up great.

I've got a pic on my phone somewhere. Might have a pic of the boat in the water. Was going to take one today but my phone had a fit in the rain.

I did it yesterday, let me know what you guys think. I haven't done the back seat so I put back what it had.

This are the support more or less lol

Looks good so far =D> .
How stable is it when your sitting/standing on the front deck? The only reason I ask is I to have a 12' Alomarine semi-V and mine is tippy standing on the seats(approx. 6"below the rails).

I haven't been in the water yet lol, I am thinking only my 10yr old son will be in that deck not me lol.
I did it that high bc i was scare of the screw being to low and leaking. I can always bring it down if anything.

I will be getting my first boat in a few weeks and it will be much like this one. 12' deep v hull. I was in the boat I will be purchasing once already and I've been looking on here to figure out a way to make an effective deck/floor without making it too unstable. The deck you put on yours is very high, but looks great. Curious as to how stable it is though because the boat I will be getting I don't believe I would be able to do this with it. Looks great, but I'm nervous about the stability.

Ill take it in the water this week just to test how stable it is, and let you know

I have a 12ft boat that is similar and I would put a deck like this on it in a heart beat. Just make sure the seat swivels because you can't walk to the sides of the seat. You'd have to sit on it, spin around, then spin around to get off of it. I stand on my middle seat which is pretty close to the front and if you step to either side off of the middle, the boat has a tendency to jump hard to the side out from under you. The back seat however is great to stand on. Good luck with the build!

I lower the deck last night lol, but I am thinking of not putting a seat on the deck and right in the middle of the boat putting that tall seat. But i dont know yet. Also is raining all day today here so when I get home from work i cant work on it. You guys have any ideas?

Sorry ... but my preference for small skiffs like that is to keep the weight as LOW and centered as possible.

My 12' Sears tinny looks like that and with the round chimes, she's tippy if you stray off the centerline. But then my buddy has a Duranautic 12' hull, taller sides w/ - square chine and she's soooooo much more stable it is like night and day!

We both just put seat bases on the existing cross-seats, where the passenger can move their base from mid to bow seat. For flooring, I put just an 18" width, 3/8" thick ... just enough width to safely navigate Fire & aft on a flat floor section without tripping on rivets & gussets et al.

I'm stunned how much decking and weigh some of you guys try to stuff into light 12' hulls :shock: !

I tried my boat yesterday but the back side was very low i think that wood seat + me is very heavy lol, Im around 275 so maybe I should make a seat not as heavy as that one ?

This is what I have so far. the middle boards can be removed, that came with the boat so ill use until I make a 2nd seat near the deck I'm guessing.
Also I need to fishing painting the woods. Next Ill work on the outside of the boat and the trailer lol. The boat works gear and I like the deck open like that because I put the battery there and works great.

Latest posts