Here we go again, boat #2, Got it wet 11-5 w/pics and video

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TOTONKA said:
2) The throttle controls are on the right and the tiller handle is on the right, so if you are running both with your right hand, then your hand is leaving the tiller to speed up/slow down... Only takes a second.

No the tiller is on the left. I have long arms I'll be able to do both at once but that's beside the point since the throttle is on the tiller. I will most likely be installing a lanyard just in case I dump myself in the water.

With a jetpump you loose 20% of your power. A 50hp jet is more like 35hp prop. Also remember a jet also has less control at slow speeds. A jet needs the front of the shoe even with the bottom of the hull. The jet impeller should be shimmed 1/32" from the sleeve for best thrust.

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,972
willfishforfood said:
With a jetpump you loose 20% of your power. A 50hp jet is more like 35hp prop. Also remember a jet also has less control at slow speeds. A jet needs the front of the shoe even with the bottom of the hull. The jet impeller should be shimmed 1/32" from the sleeve for best thrust.
Actually it's closer to 30% HP.

Broncoman said:
willfishforfood said:
Actually it's closer to 30% HP.

I could see that.I've studied the use of jet pumps and everything I have read states that jet pumps are really ineffiecent except at high speeds.Then there not quite as effiecent as a prop.I am speaking of off the self units not high performance.That's a whole different monster.

Ok guys the motor stuff is here. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4122

I have done my homework on it for the most part. It's what I wanted. Thanks for the extra info but this is my rebuild thread lets stay on topic. :?

OK got just a little done this evening. Started making patterns for the corner supports. These will give you an idea what is happening.

P9050108.jpg

P9050109.jpg

P9050111.jpg

P9050106.jpg

Might get some panels made tomorrow evening if I can talk Broncoman into helping out. Are you listening?

Nice template work, and the corners braces will look good and add support! 8)

One thing I noticed though; if the transom wood ever needs replacing, will the new corner braces, once they're welded on, hinder the removal of the transom wood? Just a thought :wink:

Hey guys I didn't disappear. Time has been short lately. Between other projects (remodeling my wife's bathroom, as well as another little project that Broncoman dragged me into :p ). Not to mention cleaning up after Ike hit us here in SE Mo. Go figure a hurricane in Missouri, never thought I'd see that.

Anyway hopefully I will be able to get back underway next week on the boat. We actually have a little more done than the updates show but I don't have a new pics so I'll get it all back up to speed next time.

Allrighty got a little bit done with the transom. Still need to get the corner pieces finish cut. Hopefully we can get very close to getting this part done this week.

Wings are welded on but still need to be finished off, one was cut a little long and needs to be trimmed a bit. I may have gone overkill with the bolts but I want to make sure its all tied together well.

P9210108%20copy.jpg

We decided to do something a little different with the transom brace. We were going to do one big fat gusset in the middle and found that if we splayed it out like this that a 6 gallon tank will fit on each side of it and the starting battery can go in the middle towards the seat.

P9210109%20copy.jpg

P9210110%20copy.jpg

We'll build a battery tray that will sit about like this to hold the battery.

P9210112%20copy.jpg

Anyway not really a ton done but I have had lots going on. I can't wait to put it in the water.

That looks real sturdy.
I'm looking at the thickness of the aluminum and I keep on wondering if you even need any wood in the transom.Sure looks nice though.

No it shouldn't but it will be put on the boat before those pieces are finalized. None of that is welded up yet, just sitting in place. Those 2 large bolts are the lower bolts for the motor.