Hyd steering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catsmith

Reaction score
Thinking of changing to a hydraulic steering in my tracker pro165. Contemplating changing from side console to center. The hyd steering would make the switch easier.

Any thoughts?

I prefer a center console but that's just my own personal preference. From what I've read hydraulic steering isn't a requirement unless you have a 150 or larger motor. I have no experience with it myself so take that with a grain of salt.

Never had hydraulic steering but I hear it is great. Like Catsmith says, the general thinking is it isn't needed for small boats/outboards.

My current boat has no feedback (NFB) steering. All of the torque steer I was used to in the previous boat is gone. If you do decide to stick with a mechanical system I would highly recommend NFB steering.

on a small motor, under 100 hp, i would never go hydraulic. you introduce too many potential fail points. incresed service, bleeding, seals, and it is not as easy to steer at slow speeds. had a chamion with 175 on it and it was very smooth but the initial slack was bothersome. a buddy had a lesser boat, same motr, and he would get serious chine walk because of the intial slack not allowing instant response for corrections.
a cable on a small boat and motor is much easier to drive on almost every situation, just grease it once a year........go fish, spend your $$$$$$ on gas!

Go for a 'No Feedback' cable system, where I'd buy a Uflex System. Routing your old cable will tell you what kind of new cable length you may need for when going to CC. I converted a few side console hulls to CCs and the biggest cost was ugrading the control box from side-mount to a binnacle or top-mount.

In regards to hydraulic steering ... sounds like that one on that Champion 175 was likely a Seastar unit with 'issues', of which they had for a few years there. As otherise, EVERY hydraulic system I've installed has been a "once in and done" install ... no leaks, no repairs - no nothing. And INSTANT turning of the boat too when the wheel is even turned a smidgin ... sounds like those hydraulic lines had air in them. Very easy to tell and to fix ... but for another topic at another time.

Not to get too far from the original question but have any of you had exposeure to the drive by wire systems? I know they're for bigger boats but it seems that routing them would be a snap if you had the coin for it. I'd like to experience it just to see what all it entails and how they handle but they're out of my price range (by far) and I think it would be cool just to see how they work.

eeshaw said:
Not to get too far from the original question but have any of you had exposeure to the drive by wire systems? I know they're for bigger boats but it seems that routing them would be a snap if you had the coin for it. I'd like to experience it just to see what all it entails and how they handle but they're out of my price range (by far) and I think it would be cool just to see how they work.
No idea how they work ... or co$t, but Panther Marine sells fly-by-wire steering controls for small OBs. One is a remote operated model where you wear the remote on a lanyard around your neck.

Latest posts