Is it worth it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaarc

Reaction score
I found a 1985 25hp Mercury long shaft. They say the compression is good and it runs and shifts out good. They are asking $650 but no controls just the motor is it worth that?

Thanks Dave

Are you planning on running it tiller, or with controls? Check around ebay, and see if you can find a tiller (assuming that is how you are planning to run it) and then use the fact that it lacks controls and is going to cost you somewhere around X amount (about twice what you found the tiller for) to actually be able to operate this "running" motor. That will often bring a buyer down a bit.

If you are planning on using remote controls it is both good and bad news. Good news is, controls are a lot less year and hp specific, so they will be easier to find, but the bad news is that they will cost a significantly larger amount, once you factor in a cost of the steering cable (don't mention the steering cable when haggling - just the control box/cables)

It would pay a person to buy a compression tester, and learn it's use. It could save you from spending your money on a troublesome motor possibly requiring a rebuild in the near future.

Here's a link, not the best info, but pulled it from a quick Google search, but it may give you an idea. If you can replace a sparkplug, you can run a compression test....

https://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_talk2diy/article/0,2021,DIY_13696_2556260,00.html

You could ask the current owner if he has a tester (since he's claiming compression is good....lol, which could mean it's good for him to sell it) and could show you the readings. Like anything else, don't take someone's for it, test it yourself or find someone who knows how & take them along.

ST

I do plan on using it remote with a homemade console. It is at a local dealer and he has a used control box that will work with it. The owner was not around when I went in so they are going to get back to me with their best price on the motor and control box with cables. Yes I will still have to buy a stearing control system also but what I am asking is the motor buy itself worth $650? The reason I am asking is I looked up 25hp Mercury's on NADA and not a one of them were priced over $200. Is the NADA book usless on older outboards because the prices in it seemed really low?

Thanks Dave

NADA is useless on older outboards. They follow a slide rule, which is fine on the first few years, is no longer close to accurate on older boats/motors. See what their lowest cast price is on the motor and control box. I think you might be able to do better than 750 for the unit (control boxes average around a hundred bucks.

You're correct about the NADA guide. It values a '86 model 9.9 about $200.00: They don't go for less than $500 around NE AR. or Memphis. If the compression is good, the starter works and there's no water in the lower unit, I wouldn't mind paying $750 total for the motor.

Thanks guys. I bought it last night got the motor and control box for $700 out the door. I'll keep ya posted on how it turns out.

Dave

Seems like a fair price.Alot of older motors are in better shape than new ones depends on how they were keep.Hope she flies for ya.

Latest posts