Jon Boat Question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iknowthatsright

Reaction score
How can i put a floor in my 14ft jon boat. What size plywood should i use 3/8, 5/8 I dont wont to add a whole lot of weight to my boat. I am new at this so any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Welcome to the site - interesting name you got there.

I am sure that some of our members will give you specific instructions

Post a pic of the boat when you can

Iknowthatsright said:
How can i put a floor in my 14ft jon boat. What size plywood should i use 3/8, 5/8 I dont wont to add a whole lot of weight to my boat. I am new at this so any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for joining. I think you can get away with the 3/8. Im not 100 percent sure. If you go to youtube through this link, look at member PBW red jon https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jon+boat&search_type=

Looking forward to some pictures! :D

That is what i am thinking I wont to get treated plywood but some say marine grade which should i go with?

How would I go about putting the plywood in my boat cut it even and lay flat in the bottom. I would like to have it where i can pull it in and out to clean the floor or underside thank you so much for all the help.

If you have priced marine grade, you wouldn't look at that as an option. Having made that mistake once, I would only use it if making a plywood hull. Go to Lowes or Home Depot, and look at what they have. They should have a sheathing, which has a reasonably good side, and a bad side. But, every now and then, a pallet of this stuff will come from a good tree, and will have 2 good sides naturally, not because they fixed it with footballs. The next grade has all the voids in the 2 outer plys filled with footballs. It also has both sides lightly sanded. If the sheathing isn't from a good batch (which it usually isn't) this is what you want.

Thank yall for your help i am going to go to lowes and see if they have treated in 3/8 and based on what i have heard i will just get some indoor outdoor carpet i appreciate all the help i will post pics as soon as possible

Iknowthatsright said:
How would I go about putting the plywood in my boat cut it even and lay flat in the bottom. I would like to have it where i can pull it in and out to clean the floor or underside thank you so much for all the help.

Depending on how the bracing is on the bottom of your boat you can try a few different things. I recommend using aluminum angle bars or, if you can find them, square tubes - screw them to the ribs and them mount the plywood to those. You could even use wing nuts for easy removal

Iknowthatsright said:
i am going to go to lowes and see if they have treated in 3/8
I would avoid the treated. Too heavy, and the copper in the treating will react with aluminum, causing premature corrosion. Get regular, and treat it with a water sealer like they use on decks.

I really like the angle bar idea sounds really simple to do and efective but if i dont use treated will the water sealer last as long and how much water sealer would i need to cover the plywood because i am also afraid of treated being to heavy my boat is a alumnacraft 1457

Iknowthatsright said:
I really like the angle bar idea sounds really simple to do and efective but if i dont use treated will the water sealer last as long and how much water sealer would i need to cover the plywood because i am also afraid of treated being to heavy my boat is a alumnacraft 1457

A couple of good coats of water sealer should last quite awhile, and be sure and give the exposed edges/ends of the grain real good coats. I'd do both sides of the boards also. :)

Latest posts