lights for my bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blake...
I think you would be better off asking this question at duckhuntingchat, those guys run every type of light you could imagine.

A lot of duck hunters put $9 lights from harbor freight on their boat and swear by them. They do that because their lights take quite a beating during a normal season.

Other guys have really inexpensive mods for putting Xenon HID lights on and that seems to be a popular option too.

The spot lights are also a great way to go.

Then there are others who simply buy halogen lights from Walmart.

I think you would need to determine how much light you need, how long you need to run the light and how much power you want to drain from your battery. Figure that out and you will know which lights to use.

Two most popular fixed lights seem to be Xenon HID and $9 Harbor Freight lights.

Sorry to hijack your thread with the legal matters. I have never encountered anything illegal with the use of external lights until I read this post. Of the hundreds of duck boats running the lights here in the California delta...I have never heard one case of illegal use of lights...so this thread had me confused and searching.

How is the duck hunting on the delta? I've fished it once and it looked like duck central.

Aside from the refuges...it's the best place around. Great thing about the delta is you can cruise it all day looking for a good flyway then don't have to worry much about other people because its such a large place.

If you get into duck hunting the delta let me know. I can point you to some good spots.

Well...that could be a problem, ha.

Do you duck hunt? How is the duck hunting in Texas?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320479#p320479 said:
chevyrulz » Yesterday, 07:43[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320397#p320397 said:
Quackrstackr » Yesterday, 15:36[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320392#p320392 said:
chevyrulz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:47 pm[/url]"]now they do use chinese LEDs, but so does every other flashlight manufacturer out there...

If I'm not mistaken, Cree (LED chip manufacturer) is located in NC. I don't guess that means that they are actually manufactured here, though.
i could be mistaken, i just assume everything's made in china these days lol
Vision X is designed in the US and LED lights made in Korea....the one from the south not the commie north !

response from the USCG is very clear that is it NOT legal to run ANY headlights or spotlights constantly while underway. The only thing that is legal is intermittently used spotlights when docking, towing, seeking assistance or the like. i hope this clears up any confusion.

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013 8:24 AM
To: __________
Cc: Baca, Michael J CIV; TIS-PF-NISWS; TIS-PF-Webmaster@navcen; HQS-PF-fldr-CG-NAV
Subject: RE: 2013-592 - Your USCG NavRules Inquiry

Greetings -
The use of a forward facing, non-navigational light is prohibited as it inhibits other vessels from being able to distinguish the required navigational lights (sidelights, masthead and sternlight - which may be combined into one all-round white light, See Rule 23(c)) required on vessels of the size specified. Rule 20(b) (both International and Inland) provides the groundwork for this application as it specified, "The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair the visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout."
There are, however, provision for use of spotlights in the rules which would aid in safe navigation but not allow for constant use. For instance, Rule 24 (International and Inland) allows the vessel towing to shine a light on a vessel in distress or otherwise in need of assistance to indicate the nature of the relationship between the towing vessel and the vessel being assisted (to illuminate the tow line or vessel towed). Additionally, Rule 36 provides for use of the searchlight to attract attention of another vessel (both inland and International) but in both rules the use of the spotlight should not be done in any way to harass or embarrass a vessel.

We hope this answers your inquiry and we exhort you to always navigate safely,

U.S. Coast Guard
Office of Navigation Systems
Washington, DC 20593-7851

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 4:35 PM
To: HQS-PF-fldr-CG-NAV
Cc: TIS-PF-Webmaster@navcen; Baca, Michael J CIV; TIS-PF-NISWS
Subject: 2013-592 - Your USCG NavRules Inquiry

Hello-

I wonder if you could please clarify a question I have regarding lighting on a vessel less than 12 meters in length. It is my understanding that using forward facing, non-navigational lights ("headlights", "docking lights", a handheld "spot light", etc) was prohibited while the vessel was underway, and that such lights are only to be used during docking maneuvers. Is this correct?

If this is not correct, can you please explain the circumstances where using lights such as these while underway is legal?

I am interested in how these regulations apply both in our territorial maritime waters as well as inland waters.

Thank you

Mail Sent from Web Server: 06/28/2013 04:34:54

Legal to use the light intermittently to aide in safe navigation. Like me and Quack said all along..... In plain English:
There are, however, provision for use of spotlights in the rules which would aid in safe navigation but not allow for constant use.

Whattayaknow..... Them boys on Tinboats.net know a thing or two.
I don't know anyone who uses fixed lights exclusively. Most supplement with a handheld spotlight. Doesn't matter if you use a handheld or a fixed light....you turn it off when approaching another boat....duh.

Perfect. We finally summed up the ambiguity.

External lights used intermittently...legal

External lights used constantly...illegal

Great info everyone, thanks for helping clear it all up.

I was talking with our Sheriff and Congressman at lunch today and completely forgot to ask him how they enforce this. We got side tracked talking about concealed carry guns...go figure. I'm interested in his perspective.