Line X today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a fiberglass boat that was sprayed with black line x and it was hotter than hades in that boat. you could hold your hand out and feel the heat coming off the boat as you ran your hand over the boat. I hope like heck you do not have these problems. I wish I had my digital thermomoter with me that day. I would love to have been able to give actual numbers on with and with out temps.

Some of these posts regarding heat crack me up. It's always the guys from Georgia and Texas saying dark colors get too hot, and guys from northern states (like me) saying it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I had black carpet in my old boat and it was no hotter than any other color carpet. And I'm outrageously sensitive to heat. A change in 5 degrees will just about dehydrate me (and most of the males on my mom's side).

autinboat said:
With the 5/15 primer didn't you say they have to wait 5 hours then line it WITHIN 15 hours? Looks like they might have missed their window.

Yea, he told me that he's going to have to primer it again...oh well.

Ok I called Line X today, he's still waiting for part to come in, they're suppose to be in tommorrow morning. So hopefully it'll get done tomorrow.
Also, I kept hearing that dark colors will get hot, and I finally gave in to the pressure, so I told him to change it to light gray.

Well today I took my digital therm. and tested the dark color theory. And YES darker colors ARE hotter. By as much as 15 degrees. That is carpet. Gelcoat is more like 40+ degrees different. I had a black and white boat he and the black was 142 degrees while the white was around 100. I do not have a line x boat or a truck bead, but I will try going to the local walmart and see what temps I can get there.

dyeguy1212 said:
Some of these posts regarding heat crack me up. It's always the guys from Georgia and Texas saying dark colors get too hot, and guys from northern states (like me) saying it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I'm guessing the reason why is because it's typically 20 degrees hotter in GA and most parts of TX than MI for the majority of the year. I'm not sure how many days it gets over 90 in MI each year, but we're closing in on 30 days of +90* weather here, and the hot months aren't even here yet. The folks who live with the heat should be considered a fairly reliable authority on the subject. The reality is, if it's a sunny 75 degrees out, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a black or white shirt, or what color your boat deck is. 75 degrees isn't hot. Do the same when it's 95, and I promise you you'll feel a difference, and so will the deck of the boat. That said, I suspect that's why you have a different perspective on it.

Nobody around here mentions it being hot until 85+ degrees, but I digress..... You guys are the authorities on cold :lol:

Because trust me, once it drops below 50 around here, it's freezing. :roll:

huntinfool said:
Well today I took my digital therm. and tested the dark color theory. And YES darker colors ARE hotter. By as much as 15 degrees. That is carpet. Gelcoat is more like 40+ degrees different. I had a black and white boat he and the black was 142 degrees while the white was around 100. I do not have a line x boat or a truck bead, but I will try going to the local walmart and see what temps I can get there.

That is interesting.
I hope that you can get some numbers on the Line X.
The only person who told me that the color didn't matter was this particular dealer. All of the other dealers I spoke with said that colors make a difference.
I'm still not sure when it comes to line X.
This one guy might be right, but somehow I feel safer going with the lighter color.

Brine said:
dyeguy1212 said:

I'm guessing the reason why is because it's typically 20 degrees hotter in GA and most parts of TX than MI for the majority of the year. I'm not sure how many days it gets over 90 in MI each year, but we're closing in on 30 days of +90* weather here, and the hot months aren't even here yet. The folks who live with the heat should be considered a fairly reliable authority on the subject. The reality is, if it's a sunny 75 degrees out, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a black or white shirt, or what color your boat deck is. 75 degrees isn't hot. Do the same when it's 95, and I promise you you'll feel a difference, and so will the deck of the boat. That said, I suspect that's why you have a different perspective on it.

Nobody around here mentions it being hot until 85+ degrees, but I digress..... You guys are the authorities on cold :lol:

I know it can get hot here in California, not as humid, but the sun does beat down pretty good.

Brine said:
dyeguy1212 said:

LOL...it's only 56 degrees here right now.
Yesterday I had to start alittle fire to get the chill out the house and they say we were supposed to have a hot dry summer.
Well to be fair it's not summer yet....

sirbeigealot said:
That is interesting.
The only person who told me that the color didn't matter was this particular dealer. All of the other dealers I spoke with said that colors make a difference.
This one guy might be right, but somehow I feel safer going with the lighter color.

I don't think that guy can defeat the basic laws of physics no matter how hard he tries. A dark color will ALWAYS get hotter than a light color because it absorbs more energy from the sun and that energy is converted to heat. A light color reflects a lot of the light energy from the sun and therefore will not get as hot.

You won't find a black t-shirt in my drawer for just this reason. In the summer I ALWAYS wear white. White shirt, white hat, etc keeps me that much cooler.

moloch16 said:
sirbeigealot said:
That is interesting.

I don't think that guy can defeat the basic laws of physics no matter how hard he tries. A dark color will ALWAYS get hotter than a light color because it absorbs more energy from the sun and that energy is converted to heat. A light color reflects a lot of the light energy from the sun and therefore will not get as hot.

You won't find a black t-shirt in my drawer for just this reason. In the summer I ALWAYS wear white. White shirt, white hat, etc keeps me that much cooler.

Yea,
It makes sense.

Sir big. FIrst off let me say that I in no way meant to trash your thread. AND I in no way meant to discredit what you were told. Yes I live in Texas and we were 100 degrees yesterday and today. We are in a drought and have been over 90 degrees for 30+ days with no rain. Add to that humidity of 80% or more and yes we know hot. I went outside today to get some temps and well work got in the way. I will try again tomorrow. I can tell you that I have a customer who has a bedliner type spray on his steering wheel and I will use it for some temps. Darker colors do absorb more energy and that is heat. A black car in Texas will burn your arm if you touch it. Yes We have a long summer and the hot days are not even here. I painted skid no more on the deck of my boat. It comes in a medium gray, and they said that it can be lightened. So I added 1 qt. of white and it is a very pale gray, but really looks white. I can walk on it barefoot from sun up until about 10-11am and then it is too hot to stand on comfortably....and that is an almost white color. Check you car and check your boat and see how hot they are during the hottest part of the day.

I am not trying to discourage you or put what you are doing down. I just hate to see someone put black or even a dark color in their boat. My boat is olive green and faded in most parts and in the heat of the day you can hardly put your hand on it.

What ever you do, Please do not let my post discourage you if that is what your wanting to do. What temps you see in your area may not even bother you with a black floor. But I will say that in Texas, that would be a major no no.

Good luck, and I will try and get those temps for you tomorrow.

I think the guys was just misplacing that the epoxy material will act like an insulator vs. painted metal. Hot is hot, even white beach sand burns bare feet in the afternoon of a warm day.

Jamie

huntinfool said:
Sir big. FIrst off let me say that I in no way meant to trash your thread. AND I in no way meant to discredit what you were told. Yes I live in Texas and we were 100 degrees yesterday and today. We are in a drought and have been over 90 degrees for 30+ days with no rain. Add to that humidity of 80% or more and yes we know hot. I went outside today to get some temps and well work got in the way. I will try again tomorrow. I can tell you that I have a customer who has a bedliner type spray on his steering wheel and I will use it for some temps. Darker colors do absorb more energy and that is heat. A black car in Texas will burn your arm if you touch it. Yes We have a long summer and the hot days are not even here. I painted skid no more on the deck of my boat. It comes in a medium gray, and they said that it can be lightened. So I added 1 qt. of white and it is a very pale gray, but really looks white. I can walk on it barefoot from sun up until about 10-11am and then it is too hot to stand on comfortably....and that is an almost white color. Check you car and check your boat and see how hot they are during the hottest part of the day.

I am not trying to discourage you or put what you are doing down. I just hate to see someone put black or even a dark color in their boat. My boat is olive green and faded in most parts and in the heat of the day you can hardly put your hand on it.

What ever you do, Please do not let my post discourage you if that is what your wanting to do. What temps you see in your area may not even bother you with a black floor. But I will say that in Texas, that would be a major no no.

Good luck, and I will try and get those temps for you tomorrow.

I never felt that you were trashing anything.
I just decided, after talking to other Line X dealers and some other people, that I would be better off with a lighter gray.
I appreciate your input!

Ranchero50 said:
I think the guys was just misplacing that the epoxy material will act like an insulator vs. painted metal. Hot is hot, even white beach sand burns bare feet in the afternoon of a warm day.

Jamie

I understand that.
Perhaps he has a point, in that he was saying that the Line X material actually prevents or retards the Sun's ability to heat up the metal underneath...I can see what he is saying, but I can also see that in general, lighter colors do tend to stay cooler.

Yep, I painted the inside of my truck project with a mixture of Coolseal brand white roofing paint and a gallon of microscopic glass balls (poor mans lizard skin). It made a huge difference in heat resistance vs. just the painted metal.

Jamie

I know I am late to the party, but I will give you my opinion on a light grey Line-X. The only time mine is ever to hot to touch is when I take the boat cover off in the afternoons. Once I drive about 45 minutes to the water it is not that bad. I can take my wife and kids on the water and they never complain about it. They usually go bare foot on the boat. I am sure you will be happier with a lighter color and maybe a little cooler to the touch. When they first sprayed mine the sprayed it in a sand color, but I had then change it to light grey. The sand color would have been nice, because you would never see the dirt once dried, because it would just blend it. It is not that much of a deal since I can just hose the boat off. You are also lucky they are telling you just a few days. They had my boat for about a week, since it was such a big project and they had to work it in between doing trucks. I almost forgot to mention. After you have it spayed and have gaps in the lids and there is no carpet to keep them from slamming down. The best thing I found was to go to a hardware store and get some window or door weather stripping and put down, so the lids hit on it instead of slamming down.
Here is a few pics of my Line-X boat.
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

optaylor823 said:
I know I am late to the party, but I will give you my opinion on a light grey Line-X. The only time mine is ever to hot to touch is when I take the boat cover off in the afternoons. Once I drive about 45 minutes to the water it is not that bad. I can take my wife and kids on the water and they never complain about it. They usually go bare foot on the boat. I am sure you will be happier with a lighter color and maybe a little cooler to the touch. When they first sprayed mine the sprayed it in a sand color, but I had then change it to light grey. The sand color would have been nice, because you would never see the dirt once dried, because it would just blend it. It is not that much of a deal since I can just hose the boat off. You are also lucky they are telling you just a few days. They had my boat for about a week, since it was such a big project and they had to work it in between doing trucks. I almost forgot to mention. After you have it spayed and have gaps in the lids and there is no carpet to keep them from slamming down. The best thing I found was to go to a hardware store and get some window or door weather stripping and put down, so the lids hit on it instead of slamming down.
Here is a few pics of my Line-X boat.
Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Wow, it looks great...I hope mine looks that good.
Unfortunately it IS taking over a week for me...the Line X guy is waiting for a part to come in, his sprayer is down. My boats been at his shop since last Thursday.

Mojo^ said:
To Line X just the inside (no seats or decks) of a 1442, approximately what would they charge?

I don't know what a 1442 is, but I have a 14 footer with the three bench seats.
I think the typical price for my boat is about 700.00 average, based on the calls I made.
I am getting it done for about 450.00, which is why I am willing to wait for the guy to fix his sprayer!

Latest posts