Lithium Battery Question - 50AH LiFeP04 for a 55# thrust Minn Kota?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question would be...is there an advantage in run time by using 2 50's rather than 1 100 amp ?? Weight I understand, anything less than the 90lbs each on my group 31's will be a blessing !!
100 amp hours is 100 amp hours no matter how you slice it, seems to me there would be no difference.

The upsides of a single 100ah would be that it would simplify charging and wiring quite a bit.

I won't be on the water again for a couple weeks, but I will run the test and post it when I am.
Great string and sorry I am late to it! I have a Relion 50Ah LIFEPO4 batt in a portable minn kota box that i wired a marinco three prong plug into so that I can use this in my 14.5’ Al Starcraft and remove to charge(boat stays at dock or on shore roller system at Off-grid camp) i amso use on a 15’4” gheenoe highsider that I fish quiet back waters solo, and I use it in a Towee Calusa Pro Microskiff(16’). I love this setup and sonce they are all small boats- running 12v 55 lb thrust minn kota Powerdrives or Terrova with iPilot on constant use at low speeds- I have no problem getting a full day of fishing(chasing muskies all day in rivers or other species in small lakes and even st lawrence river). I liked it so much, I bought a dakota lithium dual purpose 60ah 1000cca battery- this worked flawlessly for a year. This season it has not so it was shipped back to dakota. It keeps tripping when running the trolling motors(tried in 2 boats). It cannot be reset without connecting to a 14.4amp charger and this is no help when you are in a river without your proverbial paddle. So I want back to an interstate 24 series for starting and trolling motor short trips(2-3 hours) and use the relion battery for all day trips. I will post an update when I see how dakota reponds. A lot of strange comments from the customer service person at dakota on a battery that costs a great deal. Keep in mind you want a higher voltage charger for lifepo4 batteries(I use Noco genius 10&15 amp as well as the included dakota charger).

I took the plunge today and ordered a 65 amp Lifepo4 12 v for my MotorGuide xi3. Been using a 92 amp AGM that weighs in at 63 lbs. The Lifepo4 will be 14.5 lbs. Need to upgrade my charger as my old Minn Kota Precision doesn’t do Lithium.

I took the plunge today and ordered a 65 amp Lifepo4 12 v for my MotorGuide xi3. Been using a 92 amp AGM that weighs in at 63 lbs. The Lifepo4 will be 14.5 lbs. Need to upgrade my charger as my old Minn Kota Precision doesn’t do Lithium.
Let us know how run times compare....Will probably go this route next season ...

Let us know how run times compare....Will probably go this route next season ...
I got free delivery but it’s not coming until the 28’th. Gives me time to find a new onboard charger…….I may get a ”bells and whistles” charger that has Bluetooth and an application to read the battery charging progress on my phone. I’m lazy like that……lol
Saves me from having to go out in the driveway and check it.

Last edited:
Great post, Buster. I'm running a 55# Minn Kota Terrova, so your data is helpful. I DO fight currents where I fish, but usually not for too long, or we drop anchor. So thank you for sharing your experience with lithium batteries.

My question is why two 50's instead of one 100 ah battery for a 12 v TM ??? I am looking at these lifepo4 in the future...so what do I need to know??
I have two boats. One has a 70# 24 volt, and the other, a 55# 12 volt Minn Kota

If I buy a 100A battery, it would only work for the 12V. But if I get (2) 50AH, I can also run the 24V motor, and the cost is the same as the single 100AH.

Mainly, I'm trying to determine whether 100AH will be enough for me. If the LiFeP04 batteries truly give double the useable life, then the 50's should work fine.

Mainly, I'm trying to determine whether 100AH will be enough for me. If the LiFeP04 batteries truly give double the useable life, then the 50's should work fine.
According to just about all the marketing hype…..I mean literature……….lol….it’s not really double…but it is better.
If you are one to follow the manufacturers recommendations for discharging, you will get about 30 percent more usable power.…….but boat anglers do not typically follow the recommendations. We truly test the integrity of batteries with what we do…….If anything, with the prices down on the Li batteries, the worst case scenario is it’s a wash……….but your boat loses some weight.

I didn’t trust that 50 amps would be enough for my 12v motor all day so I waited on the 65 to come off back order.

I have a 12 v MK 55 lb power drive motor with two group 31 agm batteries, I can get almost an 8 hr day depending on what I am doing. I need to be assured I have 6 hrs run time for trolling. Just wasn't sure whether I would be better off with two 50's or one 100 amp.

I have a MK 55# with one group 29 battery on my Princecraft, and I get a couple of days on the water out of a charge, but I don't troll much. I mostly use the motor to hold position near structure in wind and current. Usually I'm just bumping it off and on at level 2 or 3 with short runs between spots.

In contrast, my 70# MK has two group 29 batteries, and it lasts about 8 hours in the Bay holding my 22' bay boat against some fairly swift currents. That is the one that needs a lot of juice.

According to just about all the marketing hype…..I mean literature……….lol….it’s not really double…but it is better.
If you are one to follow the manufacturers recommendations for discharging, you will get about 30 percent more usable power.…….but boat anglers do not typically follow the recommendations. We truly test the integrity of batteries with what we do…….If anything, with the prices down on the Li batteries, the worst case scenario is it’s a wash……….but your boat loses some weight.

I didn’t trust that 50 amps would be enough for my 12v motor all day so I waited on the 65 to come off back order.
30% more useable power doesn't sound as good.

How does your 65 AH battery compare in actual use to standard batteries? Same number of run hours compared to a group 29 battery? More? Less? That is the real question.

Thanks for posting your experiences.

I have a MK 55# with one group 29 battery on my Princecraft, and I get a couple of days on the water out of a charge, but I don't troll much. I mostly use the motor to hold position near structure in wind and current. Usually I'm just bumping it off and on at level 2 or 3 with short runs between spots.

In contrast, my 70# MK has two group 29 batteries, and it lasts about 8 hours in the Bay holding my 22' bay boat against some fairly swift currents. That is the one that needs a lot of juice.

30% more useable power doesn't sound as good.

How does your 65 AH battery compare in actual use to standard batteries? Same number of run hours compared to a group 29 battery? More? Less? That is the real question.

Thanks for posting your experiences.
I don’t have the 65 yet…….its on order and won’t arrive until the end of this month. It will be my first dive into lithium TM batteries.

Would you mind sharing the brand you purchased? Just curious. The prices and options available are changing very rapidly these days.

Would you mind sharing the brand you purchased? Just curious. The prices and options available are changing very rapidly these days.
Not at all. It’s a Vmax
Model LFP24-1265 and I ordered it from Walmart. $269 with free shipping.

Edit: I transcribed the weight in the ad incorrectly. It’s not 14.5 lbs……It’s 15.5 lbs.

Last edited:
This is what I gathered for current draw on my 24V Terrova 80, speeds 1-10 in amps.

1. NA (current not measurable)
2. 1.2
3. 2.7
4. 5.1
5. 8.6
6. 13.3
7. 19
8. 26
9. 33
10. 40

My running conditions are either running intermittently on speeds 4-5 to stay on a spot, slow trolling bottom bouncers on speeds 2-4, or pulling crankbaits at speeds 4-6. At those speeds I should be good to run 4-8hrs continuously without issue. For reference speed 5-6 on my setup is around 2mph.

Latest posts