Max motor size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeA57

Reaction score
I have an old 1981 Lowe Big Jon 14x48 with a 25 hp Mercury on it. The boat is rated for a 25 hp motor but while browsing around on Craigslist I found the same boat as mine but about 7 years newer that is being sold with a 40 hp motor on it. I've often felt that for its width, my boat was not really powered to its maximum potential and often wanted to put a bigger motor on it. The 25 hp Coast Guard rating though always stopped me from even considering repowering it. But now I'm wondering about that again. Is the rating plate simply a suggestion or is there some law that I would be breaking by putting more power on it?

Thanks,

Mike

There's no federal law but some states do. My boat was probably rated around 15 hp when new I'm running a 25 hp.

Maybe call the manufacturer and see if you can get a new capacity plate. If its the same boat, just newer, they may be willing to work with you

Many manufacturers list ratings of the same boat much higher for console steering vs tiller steer. Is that the case in the other boat you are looking at. Lowe is one example of doing this.

Latest posts