Midship cleats for boats without flat gunnels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarongreen123

Reaction score
Hey gents, just picked up a new to me Lund Rebel 16, has the round rolled aluminum gunnels on it. There isn't any midship cleats where there normally would be one on a boat with a flat topped gunnel, theres no where to mount one to. Hope my terminology is close enough to get the point across. You can see the need for it by looking at the boat, as the paint has been scraped off by every dock its ever been tied to because there is no place to hang a bumper. Are there any good options to mitigate this or is it just the way it is? Only cleats one the boat are on the small deck atop the bow.

I have the same problem... only thing I have close to that is the oar pin seats, which even then don't create much security....

I am considering mounting them just under the gunwale/gunnel inside the boat, horizontally and parallel with the gunwale/gunnel...

Am thinking a couple SS nuts and bolts with a little 3m5200 should be sufficient.

Just my 2 cents.

Have some flat aluminum stock welded to the gunnel where you want the cleats mounted?

Just a quick rendition of inside mounted cleat.

of course the Boat Cleat would be mounted in the horizontal position on the inside.
this is just a quick photo so you can get the idea,
this is what I have seen on different tin boats.

boat cleat.jpg

There is nothing more grand
than to be just simply messing
around in an old boat. POGO - 1960

I have cleats mounted under the gunwales on mine. I didn't need any sealant for the holes. Mine are mounted with stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts.

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    622.9 KB · Views: 500
  • IMAG0049.jpg
    IMAG0049.jpg
    534.2 KB · Views: 500