Mounting nav lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I recently posted a question about wiring lights, now I have a question about mounting the stern/anchor light. I want to install a receptacle for a light on a pole, but I have nowhere to mount it. There are no horizontal surfaces large enough. Has anyone out there created something that is mounted somehow? I was thinking maybe using an electrical box, or some sort of plate?

Mine is mounted in the triangular plate that connects the transom to the side of the boat. If your boat doesn't have a large enough plate to mount it there, it seems like it would be a relatively easy task to add a plate large enough to accommodate the light base.

JMichael said:
Mine is mounted in the triangular plate that connects the transom to the side of the boat. If your boat doesn't have a large enough plate to mount it there, it seems like it would be a relatively easy task to add a plate large enough to accommodate the light base.
That's the problem, there is almost no surface area there. I was hoping someone else had the same problem and had some pics I could go from.

Post a picture of your stern, but in the meantime how about your idea of an electrical box mounted directly to one side of your transom? Seems logical if there is no other surface, plus assuming its wood, some #8 1/2" scews would hold the box firmly.

Here is what I have to work with.

Attachments

• 0603121953a.jpg
    0603121953a.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 458
If you move your cleat, the electrical box could go there, or, rivet/screw an aluminum curve to the corner aluminum bracket. The new piece could be curved opposite to the corners curver so that when you attach it, it would curve out giving you necessary space to mount the light. You could do this on the otherside to make it look symmetrical if you like.

Wouldn't be too difficult to rivet a triangular piece of 1/8th" aluminum plate to your existing small corner brace. Just make it big enough to mount the light base on the newly added piece. Something similar to this.

Attachments

• Plate.JPG
    Plate.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 449

Latest posts