my 16 ft lowe boat with a 9:9 merc.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cals boat

Reaction score
I cant wait to put a deck on front, and put a 30 even on it, and a console, for sure
Will try to post pics :D

Attachments

• IMG_20120606_152514.jpg
    IMG_20120606_152514.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 1,053
Cant wait to get started with motor change.

Attachments

• IMG_20120606_152502.jpg
    IMG_20120606_152502.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMG_20120606_152502.jpg
    IMG_20120606_152502.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 1,047
that boat has a ton of possibilities! you gonna take that midle bench out? floor? storage? cant wait to see what ya do!

I have the same boat just 2 feet shorter...... I also started with a 9.9 and now have a 30hp johnson on it and it does very well. I did a floor and casting deck mod also. Even removed half the middle bench for a walk through. It will be fun to follow this thread : )

hey all, anticipation is getting me, so many ways to go, and yes i do want to remove the middle bench, but worried about getting the rivet holes filled, would make a bigger project to paint and seal bottom. want a console and floor in the middle.
The motor will come first with a cmc jack plate and power tilt and trim, is my plan, not sure if that is the least expensive way to go with jack plate? 9.9 is short shaft and my 30 hp is long shaft so i do need to lift up motor or remove middle section of lower unit, i think if that is correct???

I have also thought about removing both bench's in the middle open for console, 2 seats and side storage in the middle with decking on both front and back, i don't like the benches. I think that would make more room for a cooler and other items, while we are fishing from front and back. What do u guys think? I have read tons of great builds here and luv them all with lots of ideas. :D OMG which way to go. :D :D

Ok be careful when thinking on removing both bench seats. They are part of the structural stability of the boat. When I removed half my middle bench I did not remove any rivets from the boat at all. The flanges on the side of the seat that stick out are incorporated into my uprights that help support the side and hold the rod rack. And the flange under the bench that is riveted to the seat and the bottom of the boat is still there under mine, I just sawed a notch out of it to match the height of the floor stringers and bolted my stringers to it. I wish I had taken pics of my mod before I covered it with flooring :oops:

You have a blank canvass to work with cal and anything is possible. I wish I would have went with the 16'....... I would have done a console if I had the 16, but my 14' just didn't have the room. I still almost did it to my 14 right in front of my half middle bench I made, it would have worked well but just not enough room.

After I put my 30hp and I was running in 1-2 foot waves at 30mph I saw how important the bench seats are to the structural stability of the boat, and I was really glad I reinforced it and left the riveted flanges in and bolted them to the stringers and uprights I made. The side of the boat flexes more than I had anticipated, but I always overbuild so all was good. Just be careful if you remove both seats and reinforce if you do so the boat doesn't fold up on ya

Oh and as for the longshaft, you can run it on your short transom. It will just drag a little more than a short shaft and you won't be able to run in real shallow water. Or you can build a jack plate yourself which is really not that difficult. I have the 20" transom on my boat so I had to extend my 9.9 and then bought a longshaft when I went bigger.

If your Evinrude came from the factory as a longshaft you can't turn it into a short shaft unless you buy the whole lower exhaust housing down to the gearcase. If the motor was a short shaft to start with and someone put the extension in it then you can just remove that 5" extension and get the shorter drive shaft.

So what year is your Evinrude? And do you have pics of it? :D

Just got back from fishing trip in the gulf, wooooow what a blast!!! wish all could try that at least once, ok now back home. You made me think about it, i guess i can just add a console and deck on front and rear, with good storage under them. that is another reason for the decking. It is a blank canvass, will check into it more with the 1 bench or maybe a half like u did that turned out sweet on urs.

I want to get a cmc for it, has tilt and trim, jack plate i think will be my best way to go, and it is a 1998 spl 28 evinrude and i am in the middle of making a stand for it so it is just standing up in a corner, will get some pics...

Wooow lots to info to think about thanks for the info all, u r right don't want to cause issues with out a middle hehe.

Latest posts