My build from then 'til now - Motor swap completed!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while since I posted anything on the boat. Blew up the motor the last time I was out so I'm currently looking for a good powerhead. I bought a partts motor for close to nothing but it will need too much work to get running so it is going to be scrapped. I've found a couple of them and just waiting on my questions to be answered before biting the bullet and buying one. My ultimate goal is to have the motor rebuilt by Spring, put a coat of paint on the trailer, and then sell it and get something newer. I would love to find a nice inboard but I would also not mind finding a 1652 or 1752 with a 60 or 90 jet on it. Something in 4 stroke and is a little better on gas. Mainly newer. I've had lots of problems with my motor and every time something goes wrong I replace with newer and better parts and it has gotten expensive. Good news is the next buyer will get a motor with almost every part new, refurbished, or rebuilt. I'm just ready to move on.

There's where I'm at. i'll keep you posted on the new powerhead.

I bit the bullet today and bought a new to me block for my motor. The guy wanted $650 plus $100 shipping and I got it for $525 out the door. I have some work in Louisville, KY late this week so I'm going to pick it up on my way. All the other motors I have found have been over $1000. He said it was the cheapest he has ever sold one, (of course he did).

History on the motor is it is a 2 owner motor. All original with 57 hours on the meter when they pulled it off the boat. I have enough pictures to support the story and the compression is good accross the board all within 4 pounds. They even pulled the head off and took pictures of the top of the pistons and the walls of the block for me.

I think I got a good deal. I'll be doing the swap myself with a very knowlegable boat mechanic. REally should not be too hard, pull a part off the old and install it on the new ect ect.

It will all come together. I'm just guessing with the month estimation. Who knows. I'll document everything on here.

I picked my new block up this weekend. I got it from a place called Southcentral Outboards. www.southcentraloutboards.com The owner James Foster was a very nice guy and has quite the opperation going on. He is in St. Elmo, IL and very hard to find but he has about 2000 outboards in stock and a lot of parts on Ebay. Nice guy with a good operation. Here are some pictures of the block.

Attachments

• wrapped up.JPG
    wrapped up.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 632
Couple more.

You can tell the seller has pride in his packaging. So far I'm happy with this seller.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 632
  • side 1.JPG
    side 1.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 632
  • side 2.JPG
    side 2.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 632
  • side 3.JPG
    side 3.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 632
  • bolt covers.JPG
    bolt covers.JPG
    545 KB · Views: 632
fender66 said:
Looks good from the pictures. Nice find.
Thanks. I'm going to order some gaskets I need tomorrow and then maybe start the switch this weekend. We'll see. I'm really wanting to get out and catch some fish. I did not get to go as much as I wanted this year.

bulldog said:
fender66 said:
Looks good from the pictures. Nice find.
Thanks. I'm going to order some gaskets I need tomorrow and then maybe start the switch this weekend. We'll see. I'm really wanting to get out and catch some fish. I did not get to go as much as I wanted this year.

What motor are you running on your sled? I actually contacted that company you got your stuff from tonight hoping he can find me a set of 125 carbs. (fingers crossed)

Lennyg3 said:
What motor are you running on your sled?

id have to say from the first set of images an older inline 6 Tower of power 150..

file.php

My motor is a 1974 Mercury 150. When it was running at 100%, it is a beast of a motor. After I get the motor put back together and get the bugs worked out, the boat is getting put up for sale. I am going to buy something a little shorter, a little wider and about 25 years newer. I'm ready for another project and I really just want something newer. May consider just repowering. All depends on what I can get.

I like projects. I'd really like to get some sort of inboard jet. I just came accross the 2072 Sea Ark Predator with the 200 horse Sport Jet this weekend and I think I'm in love. My fiance would kill me though.

Attachments

• motor wrap.JPG
    motor wrap.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 573
Ordered my gaskets today from OPC Marine. $17.50 plus tax. Not too bad. After get it all put together they are going to go over everything, adjust the carbs if needed, set the timing and do a complete once over for me for $180. I'm happy with that. I think I might try to get the swap going on Sunday. Pretty early to make any plans.

I can't wait to get it going again. If there is anything I have learned in life it is that nothing ever goes to plan so I'm interested to see what goes wrong with the swap. :LOL2:

I cannot wait till you post some more pictures of your boat.i like it and would like to see it if i lived closser to you.Like them 6 cylinder inline 115 and 150 hp Mercury

hotshotinn said:
I cannot wait till you post some more pictures of your boat.i like it and would like to see it if i lived closser to you.Like them 6 cylinder inline 115 and 150 hp Mercury

Are you down South Missouri? I'd love to come down there and run those rivers some time.

It will be for sale soon enough. :wink:

The outboard shop gave me the wrong gasket kit. Piece of $$)$#*(#$*$&$^*%#@*#$%&*$&^*#$%&#$^&*&^@$%#@^!!!!!!!!

I'll get everything I can get swapped, swapped then I have to wait until tomorrow or later to finish up. Sucks, but like I said, something always goes wrong.

Alright, I got the motor as far as I could today becasue of the gasket issues. Here are some pics of the swap.

Attachments

• motor swap 053.JPG
    motor swap 053.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 534
  • motor swap 055.JPG
    motor swap 055.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 534
  • motor swap 056.JPG
    motor swap 056.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 534
  • motor swap 060.JPG
    motor swap 060.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 534
  • motor swap 060.JPG
    motor swap 060.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 534
I was extremely interested in the damage to the old powerhead so i disassembled it. It took all of 10-15 minutes to have it broken down ito parts. Look at how fried the #1 piston is. All the cylenders were dripping wet with oil and gas but the #1 was dry as a bone. The #3 piston had a very slight amount of scoring on it as well. #1 and #3 are the top pistons of the middle and top carbs. Makes me wonder if there is any corrilation.

This is what the inside of a tower of power looks like. If anyone has this motor and wants more pictures, I have tons more.

Attachments

• motor swap 062.JPG
    motor swap 062.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 533
  • motor swap 063.JPG
    motor swap 063.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 533
  • motor swap 064.JPG
    motor swap 064.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 533
  • motor swap 065.JPG
    motor swap 065.JPG