Need help on choosing a motor? HP?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundoer

Reaction score
I own a 12ft semi v aluminum boat. i'm not sure of the exact weight. but i was told it was 180lbs-190lbs? I want to get a motor with enough power to push me around decent sized lakes. my trolling motor is taking a crap, when the wind picks up. 45lb thrust. and i fish small bass tournaments. and time is precious. I was wondering how fast a 5hp motor could push me. Its rated to 20HP max. but i don't need to go that fast. anywhere from 5-10mph, I guess?. or a 10 hp motor. give me some advice please, oh yea this is my first ever boat.
Thanks!

I started off with a 5.5 johnson(still a great little motor) on a 12' jon it would push me around but wouldn't hit a plane or win any races. You'll be able to hit a plane and move nicely with a 10hp (my evinrude 9.9 will plane my 16' jon). If you're rated to 20hp keep your eyes open for 10hp, 15hp, 18hp, or even a 20hp. This will open up your chances on getting a good deal.

15 hp the way to go.i got a 15 johnson and its very nice.1974 and moves awesome

Id go with an 18 or 20. As long as you stay within recommendations, you wont regret going with the max or close to it. An 18hp tohatsu/nissan 2stroke from the 90s will make a rocket outta that thing.

Latest posts