New Fishfinder?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny.barile

Reaction score
My PiranhaMax finder (portable type with 8 AA battery case) is crapping out on me. I don't remember how old it is but it may be 10 years old. I was originally using it on an inflatable boat because it had the suction cup transducer mount. In 2008 I fabricated a more permanent mount for my aluminum boat.
The power keeps going out every few minutes. Also, the temperature no longer reads. Im pretty sure the power wire is shorted right near the connector. The transducer wire is looking pretty ratty too. Im amazed it lasted this long.

I have been looking online at newer designs and I like the down imaging. The Dragonfly is what i would like to get but my wallet doesn't agree. I found another PiranhaMax that has what looks like entry level down imaging. It is the 197C DI. The controls don't look much different than the one I have now so I figure it will be easy to use.

Anyone have any experience with this one? I can't find anything on the web for that specific model.

I have the Lowrance 5 HDI. It's a discontinued model - they're pushing CHIRP now. But they are still around.

I really like this unit and the interface.

I just got the humminbird Helix 5 SI. I needed the gps for scuba. Awesome image with the side image and down image. They have units with just the sonar.

SumDumGuy said:
I picked up the Dragonfly. Seems pretty cool, but I think the fish finding part is broken. :LOL2:

Yeah I know that feeling. There was a time I thought my boat was painted with fish repellant.

Which Dragonfly did you get? I looked at the Dragonfly-4DVS It is about $249 in the big stores. My boat is only 13 ft. so I thought it may be overkill. If I put that transducer on my transom it would look like I was dragging a kayak. :D

The xducer is a bit large, but I think that is to help see the big fish. :D

I ended up getting the 4 Pro, it was 269 w/ free shipping) online. I got the pro for the the WiFi stuff, which is pretty cool 'cause I can have a 10 inch screen with a tablet.