New guy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very long day. Started at 8:00 am and just now got done. View attachment 117047View attachment 117048 Started out with 80 #grit. Then went to 120#grit. Then dropped down to the good stuff 320#grit. Feathered in nicely. Not perfect by any means but still very happy with the results. Fairing compound was cured enough today to get her done. The stuff turned blue as I was sanding then as the sun hit it turned green again. Yesterday sanded a small section and it went blue and stayed blue so I stopped. A lot of small dents that were rather deep are now covered. Level it is not. Deep dents from abuse are now gone. Washed the bottom with Dove soap and then rinsed the boat real well. Areas were the 650K ran we cleaned up with a stainless wire brush with the 4 inch grinder prior to washing. Really glad I took the time to do this. Thought about blowing it off thinking it was not worth the work involved. Very much so worth the extra work. How many folks on here post the bottom of their boat. Think about it not many. Especially on a very small aluminum boats. By the time I apply the Epoxy primer from Total Boat made for aluminum hulls no one will know the amount of work that went into the boat prior to the paint. I will as am sitting in the backwaters of Lake Eufaula Oklahoma around 3:00 AM catching fish. Hurt like hell but a very good day.
That prep looks mighty good to me as novice.

First coat of gluvit IMG_1771.JPGIMG_1773.JPG All of the rivets got their first coat on the inside of the boat. Had some fairing compound left and went ahead and covered the patch and a few deep dents that I missed. IMG_1772.JPG The gluvit is a lot easier to use then the 650K. Glad I used the 650k on the seams vice the gluvit. The 650k is a lot thicker even without the filler and worked great on the seams. Believe the gluvit was ideal for the rivets. We are looking at 3 inches of rain starting around 4:00 AM and running all day tomorrow. So sometime late this afternoon we are going to flip the boat. Second coat will hopefully go on Thursday. Guess we shall see how my repair job on the roof goes with the rain coming in.

Well jumped the gun and float tested the boat yesterday afternoon. Sat in it for about six hours drinking a 12 pack. No leaks at all. Wife come down after dark and was curious as to what was up. We got the boat out and brought it back to the house and I got chewed out left and right. She figured out that since the boat was missing and me that I had to be in the pond. She was right.

Today was a day from $ell. Got up early and cleaned the garage shed from top to bottom. Rearranged stuff so I could get the boat in. It took a bit but we got her done. IMG_1779.JPG Boat is in the garage and ready for primer. IMG_1781.JPGIMG_1780.JPG Shed was set up to work on motorcycles not boats. Had to take down my work bench and a few other items had to be rearranged But have enough space ro get around and get her primed and painted. I hurt all over. Back is beyond believe along with the Knees but got her in and ready. Very excited about this. Did give her a quick etch of white vinegar before the dry dock. In the morning before primer plan on a acetone bath. No bugs or dust to worry about. Just prime and paint. The Harley is on hold until the boat is done. Besides my first love is IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1572.JPG Boat is a very close second.

Last edited:
First real motorcycle I ever road was a Triumph Tiger. That would have been in the '60's. Scared me. I hate to admit it but as much as I admire them, I could never enjoy going fast on a motorcycle.

You guys remember the old Cushman scooters. Kind of like an adult version of a mini-bike. We used to have fun buzzing around hill trails on them when we were teens.

Well jumped the gun and float tested the boat yesterday afternoon. Sat in it for about six hours drinking a 12 pack. No leaks at all. Wife come down after dark and was curious as to what was up. We got the boat out and brought it back to the house and I got chewed out left and right. She figured out that since the boat was missing and me that I had to be in the pond. She was right.

If I drank a 12 pack, there would a lot of leaks. :)

First real motorcycle I ever road was a Triumph Tiger. That would have been in the '60's. Scared me. I hate to admit it but as much as I admire them, I could never enjoy going fast on a motorcycle.

You guys remember the old Cushman scooters. Kind of like an adult version of a mini-bike. We used to have fun buzzing around hill trails on them when we were teens.
A Tiger 650 like this............? This is my 1970 TR6.............still riding it 53 years later...........

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpg
    IMG_1213.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
A Tiger 650 like this............? This is my 1970 TR6.............still riding it 53 years later...........
That is one heck of a nice looking Triumph. The one I rode looked like that but would have been before 1970. Not sure what year the bike was. My older brother's friend let me take it for a spin one afternoon.

Throughout the years I have owned and rebuilt 10 Triumphs. Today is a rest day. I hurt all over. Moving things around in the shed and cleaning did me in. Carrying the boat in was the easy part. Might get it wiped down with the acetone but figure for the most part plan on watching some videos on applying the primer. The weather will be better tomorrow for painting and hopefully I will be in better shape.

That is one heck of a nice looking Triumph. The one I rode looked like that but would have been before 1970. Not sure what year the bike was. My older brother's friend let me take it for a spin one afternoon.
Thank you my friend. They were pretty much the same from 1962 thru 1970.........mostly different colors and in 69 they came with the twin leading show front brake. I have a 1968 BSA Lightning also and really love the era of these machines. They vibrate and leak a little oil but to me it's a part of the charm.......essentially they are not perfect as I am not perfect so we go well together! Modern stuff is just too sanitary for this old time guy. Love old boats and motors, old cars, old trucks, old motorcycles, old tractors and MOST old people..........but there are a few.................well..........like mom said..........if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all........:))

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 0
Throughout the years I have owned and rebuilt 10 Triumphs. Today is a rest day. I hurt all over. Moving things around in the shed and cleaning did me in. Carrying the boat in was the easy part. Might get it wiped down with the acetone but figure for the most part plan on watching some videos on applying the primer. The weather will be better tomorrow for painting and hopefully I will be in better shape.
Well Sonny............lets get another Triumph and re-discover our youth again!!.......:)))

Attachments

• s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
First coat of Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat by Total Boat is on. IMG_1784.JPGIMG_1783.JPG A gallon is going to give me a easy 4 four coats. The 4 inch foam rollers start to fall apart after 10 minutes of use but does not get into the primer. They just sort of melt. Afraid to use anything with a nap it could in up a mess so I will stick with the foam. Went ahead and used the 200 thinner from Total Boat and glad I did. Primer went on smooth and covered the seams and rivets well. It is going to be a long day.

First coat of Aluminum Boat Barrier Coat by Total Boat is on. View attachment 117290View attachment 117289 A gallon is going to give me a easy 4 four coats. The 4 inch foam rollers start to fall apart after 10 minutes of use but does not get into the primer. They just sort of melt. Afraid to use anything with a nap it could in up a mess so I will stick with the foam. Went ahead and used the 200 thinner from Total Boat and glad I did. Primer went on smooth and covered the seams and rivets well. It is going to be a long day.
Very Nice !!

Got four coats on and getting ready for final coat. Just a bit to tacky and needs to set longer. Used a little more 200 thinner on this batch but seeping into the seams. Went to Wal-Mart and found some better rollers. They get mushy but it just take longer for them to become garbage. A few minor runs believe by the time am done you will not be able to tell. Tired and hurt but can't stop now. When the last coat of primer sets up we paint. Total Boat recommends applying first coat of paint when primer passes the thumb test. Really glad I got good lights in the shed. Gonna run out of daylight. They say you can let the primer set up all the way but then you have to come back and sand then apply primer again and paint after primer passes thumb test. That sounds like a royal pain and would rather pass on that. Much to my surprise they also say that you should let the boat set for a minimum of five days to allow for total curing.

Believe me really love the comments especially from folks I have respect for. Need all the encouragement I can get right now. All I need to do is get one coat of the aluminum paint on the primer before it sets. The second or third coat can be applied tomorrow. Will not hurt anything. Just got done reading up on it again. The objective is to get the first coat to stick to the primer. The paint was rather expensive and I do not want any screw ups. Dog tired and hurt all over. Took a extra pain pill and added a few beers. The freaking primer and paint is worth more than the boat. Weather is holding out. We are at 70 degrees with a low of 50 degrees tonight. Shed is still warm from the sun hitting it all day.

Believe me really love the comments especially from folks I have respect for. Need all the encouragement I can get right now. All I need to do is get one coat of the aluminum paint on the primer before it sets. The second or third coat can be applied tomorrow. Will not hurt anything. Just got done reading up on it again. The objective is to get the first coat to stick to the primer. The paint was rather expensive and I do not want any screw ups. Dog tired and hurt all over. Took a extra pain pill and added a few beers. The freaking primer and paint is worth more than the boat. Weather is holding out. We are at 70 degrees with a low of 50 degrees tonight. Shed is still warm from the sun hitting it all day.
Well my friend you have earned your rest and the boat is shaping up to be a masterpiece........I admire you tenacity and perseverance especially with the physical pain that ends the day...........God Bless you my friend.........