New Member Introductions!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Guy here from NH, been messing with tin boats since I was 11. Current project is a 1974 Mirrocraft 16' open boat with the factory side console. I am converting it into a duck hunting boat, removing the two forward tank seats for dog and decoy space. I will build a small platform for the factory console and mount it some forward of where the console is now. Putting in a flat floor, adding a 12 gallon fuel tank. For power I will have a 1993 Johnson 50 hp. Trailer is a roller trailer with a longer than normal tongue to get in and out of boat ramps after draw down in the fall. I will be going with Parker duck boat paint and I will stencil on a camo pattern for the boat and motor. I will be building a blind that I can load with bungee cords and pull a pin to have it instantly collapse of all goes well. the boat has a short deck on front and I will be mounting a remote control spot light and a bow mounted trolling motor. In the rear I will be adding a 9.9 hp Evinrude and a couple of electric downriggers for trolling smaller lakes and ponds. Hoping for a responsive, powerful, stable platform rigged for hunting and fishing.
Currently my buddy who is a wood worker is building me a new transom. Once that is back here and installed with the 40-50 bolts that seem to be attached, it will be floor time.

Attachments

• before picture.jpg
    before picture.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3,308
New guy from NE Ohio. Walleye fisherman who fishes Lake Erie 30-50 times a year out of 2012 Starcraft Fishmaster 196. It's an excellent big fresh water tin boat.

rapscallion said:
New guy from NE Ohio. Walleye fisherman who fishes Lake Erie 30-50 times a year out of 2012 Starcraft Fishmaster 196. It's an excellent big fresh water tin boat.

Hey rapscallion. Welcome to our TinBoats family. You're gonna love it here. Also if you need anyone to help you eat those walleye....just say the word. :mrgreen:

fender66 said:
rapscallion said:

Hey rapscallion. Welcome to our TinBoats family. You're gonna love it here. Also if you need anyone to help you eat those walleye....just say the word. :mrgreen:
Thanks. And take a number and get in line.... :mrgreen:

Hello everyone. I just joined TinBoats and wanted to introduce myself. I'm located in the small town of Clayton in Northern California (about 35 miles east of San Francisco). I am four years retired and will hit 65 at the end of this year. I have been away from boating/fishing for over 30 years. My previous boat was a 22' Bayliner Skagit -- large, heavy, and drank gaso like there was no tomorrow. I sold it back in the early 80's. We used to spend a lot of time in the California Delta and SF Bay. I spent even more time at Lake Don Pedro trolling for trout with my Dad. After retirement I wanted to get back on the water, but this time I wanted a smaller and easier to handle boat. I also have no desire to get beat to death on the Delta or Bay so am sticking to lakes. Earlier this year I purchased a 15' Klamath Advantage SV with a 25 HP Mercury Outboard. I used this website a lot during my search for a boat and appreciate the help. I have been pretty much focusing on trout & bass at a small local reservoir, though I did pick up some kokanee at Lake Berryessa a few weeks ago.

By the way, things in the fishing world have changed over the past 30 years. Today's fish finders are amazing. My old boat had a Heathkit depth finder (if you are old enough you may remember Heathkit). It showed the bottom and that was about all. I got really confused with all the new high tech fishing lines. Decided to stick with mono because I'm too lazy to learn new knots. Good news is most of the old tackle still works and I'm still picking up trout on the old speedy shiners.

Hey LDUBS....Welcome to the TinBoats family. You're gonna love it here.

Sounds like you have a great plan with a great boat. Ask lots of questions and post lots of pictures....and again, welcome aboard.

New member from Mississippi. Just bought a new jon boat and am doing some tweaking to the engine placement at the moment. It's an 1856 Alweld Tunnel Hull with a 40 HP Tohatsu 4 Stroke.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,896
Baby John said:
New member from Mississippi. Just bought a new jon boat and am doing some tweaking to the engine placement at the moment. It's an 1856 Alweld Tunnel Hull with a 40 HP Tohatsu 4 Stroke.

Hey Baby John.....Welcome to the Tinboats family. You're gonna love it here, AND...you're gonna love that boat. I do already. :LOL2:

Thanks fender. I do love it. I ran a pop riveted 1544 G3 with a 25 Yamaha for 10 years. This is my 2nd new boat and I attempted to set it up for shallow river water but with comfort for my wife and kids to be with me. It has a short shaft motor on a tall transom. Very close to the top of the water. Running a cupped prop and am having just a tiny bit of cavitation. May have to lower the motor just a little.

Installing a radio in it this afternoon. Already bought a nice little $100 job that fits neatly in the console and came with 2 6.5" speakers. Fabbed up some $5.00 speaker boxes with some PVC fittings I found at a hardware store. It's not gonna be a dock rocker, but it'll give me some tunes while on the river.

fender66 said:
Baby John said:

Hey Baby John.....Welcome to the Tinboats family. You're gonna love it here, AND...you're gonna love that boat. I do already. :LOL2:

Hello,
I live on the beautiful island of Molokai. I moved here a couple of years ago from the Big Island and noticed all the home made flat bottom boats made to cruise the extensive inner reef flats here. I looked aroound and thought a jon boat would be perfect so i recently acquired a Lowe L1648M. I have never owned an aluminum flat bottom boat before and look forward to getting some good info on them here at TB.net
Mike 8)

Welcome Molokai, you will find an enormous amount of information here on tin boats. Enjoy your search and please post pics of your beautiful area...:)

Fire1386 said:
Welcome Molokai, you will find an enormous amount of information here on tin boats. Enjoy your search and please post pics of your beautiful area...:)
Thank you Fire. Heres a pic of my closest launch showing nice flat conditions

resize.jpg

Hi My name is Tim i will in north part of Ga I am 18 and just getting into Jon boating been fishing since I was 6 I got my first boat 2 week ago a Sears 12 vhull and working on it slow by self mom and dad both gone so it only me and the real world I find my peace on the water and being in the outdoor that why i got a smaller boat too make it easier too get around and fishing smaller lakes around Ga and some on lake Lanier in the fall when it not so crazy with all the big boats on it lol . Hoping too start work on boat this sanding it down and painting then working on framing it out for a front casting deck .sorry for the the post just a young man without a lot of help trying too get some good pointer thanks everyone for your help Tim

Holatim, welcome....:) Search is your friend here. Lots and lots and lots of information to go over, especially about preparing a tin for painting. I truly understand your statement of finding peace on the water, that is exactly why I go fishing. Catch some or not, it is always a good day on the water.....:)

Molokai, that looks pretty calm.....lol

Hey Tim, been here a week so i feel silly welcoming you. lol Aside from painting your boat and other general maintenance its always good to take your boat out a few times and fish before you start doing mods. You'll get a good feel for what you need and where it needs to go. I read here that its a good idea to (carefully) stand up in your boat and rock it around to get a feel for how stable it is before you build a deck. Be patient and go slowly with the mods. Nothing worse than drilling holes in your boat and then realizing that's not where you wanted it. 8)

Fire, we do get some really calm days and when they coincide with some fatter tides there are miles of reef that are loaded with fish. Really excited about how skinny these boats go!

Latest posts