Opinions on this boat? (Craigslist Ad)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't want to spend more than $1500. For the right boat though, I could go a little higher. I was only considering the above boat for the hull and trailer, but I am not sure I could find a decent outboard and still stay in my price range.

I didn't realize this thread had gotten to five pages... :roll: But, I found another boat. I'm going to look at it in a couple hours. I thought the ad covered almost all my questions. What does it mean when he says the outboard runs and shifts good? I didn't know they shifted, does it have a reverse gear or something?

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/722225900.html

Thanks again for any help.

That's a nice boat! Have 'em start the motor for you, and check under the floor boards if possible. Maybe you can get him to give you a test ride on the water if it's close enough to smoewhere to float it.

Thanks for the replies. The hull is a 1971 Lonestar (I think). The inside, under the decks, was covered with a type of tar. He mentioned a name, but I forgot it. It has a bilge pump and nav. lights already wired to toggle switches. The motor cranked on the first pull. I have to think about it some more, but I think I will make him in offer.

That is a nice boat. I just noticed you were from Oak Ridge, I have lots of family from Wartburg.

I am glad I took yall's advice, I asked him if we could go out in the boat before I wrote the check. The motor is a 1978 25 HP pull start Evinrude. He had problems keeping the motor running after he took the choke off, and it would surge when he got on the throttle. He fiddled with the mixture and got it to work a little better. We eventually came to the conclusion that the carb will need to be rebuilt, and it will need a fuel pump. Does anyone know how much this will cost at a marine shop? The seller guessed around $200.

On to the good news, the seller offered to knock $400 off the price, since the motor needs work. :p He also called me back this evening, and said that another guy wants to trade the motor that is on it now with a 20 HP Mercury from the same year, and that he would sell the boat with the mercury for $100 less than his asking price. I will post when I have more details on the mercury, but in general, are old mercurys as reliable as this evinrude?

Other members and bassboy1 are the resident old motor gurus, so I can't help you there. I'd have the seller do a test run of the new motor for you. Did you float-test the boat, or just run the motor in a barrel or with some ear muffs hooked to a hose?

Thanks for the quick reply. We took the boat out on the water. I was really suprised at the stability of the v-hull. I thought it would be like standing in a canoe. We had three people in the 14' boat (seller, my dad, and me), and we could easily switch places if we coordinated our movements. The boat does not have a drain plug, just a bilge pump, which I am ok with. One less thing to forget :wink: I was also impressed with how quickly the trolling motor pushed us, I am used to my cousins boat, where the only motor is a 17# thrust trolling motor.

'78 Mercury? I think I would stick with the 'rude. Mercs of that era are finicky in my opinion, although there are die hard merc lovers. A carb rebuild is an easy thing to do yourself, so I would take the 'Rude for 400 less, as that would definitely cover the cost for a marina to do it. Does that motor have a single or double carb? I can't remember off the top of my head, and my manual is in the shop surrounded by greasy parts, so I don't want to go look at it. Carb kits are 20 - 30 bucks per carb, and shouldn't be more than 2 hours labor. Probably one if he is familiar with these. Anyone know what the going rate for standard shop labor is? I do all the work myself, so haven't a clue.

The fuel pump I would definitely do myself if I were you. It shouldn't be more than 5 screws and 2 hose clamps, and it should be right on the side of the powerhead, in easy reach. Don't know the price of these off the top of my head, but I don't remember it being much last time I got one for a 50 horse.

The 400 he takes off should cover all that work, even if the marina does it. So, I would probably take it for that.

One thing though, take a oil pan, wide slotted screwdriver, and possibly a crescent wrench next time. (crescent wrench to put around screwdriver to get more power. Sometimes these things are stuck) Pull the lower unit oil plugs, and look at the fluid. If it is milky, or has water and/or metal shavings, I would probably avoid it, but if it is fairly good fluid, even if it is black, I would go for it. But, DO NOT pull the phillips screw. That holds the bottom of the shift rod to the piece that goes around the clutch dog, and if you loosen it, the lower unit will have to be disassembled to replace that screw.

Thanks for your response, bassboy1. I would have replied sooner, but I just got the details on the 20 HP Mercury, here is the info from the seller:

the 20 hp mercury i had told you about. It is about the same year as my motor [1978], and has just been completely gone through new plugs, card, fuel pump, water pump etc. all done at earls marine.

Buying the boat with the Evinrude (with carb rebuild and new fuel pump) will cost about $100 more than buying the boat with the Mercury. If it is worth it, then I am willing to pay the extra money. Thanks again for your help.