Putting boat in storage facility

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Givey1982

Reaction score
Looks like the DW wants a new house and it will have a smaller yard. No room for the boat. If you store your boat in a paid monitored facility please let me know what you leave on it and what you take off it.

Thanks a lot

I'd first find out if it's a secure facility, fence, locks, video, etc.. If that all checks out I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's Joe Blows fly by night boat storage pull off anything you don't want to come up "missing".

This is a tough one. Around here it seems boats are usually stored in an open yard area that anyone with gate access can walk through. In other ones boats are parked under open sided roofs.

Years ago I moored a boat at a highly visible & well lit marina. Video security was a luxury back then. Locked gate didn't stop someone from breaking into my boat and several others. I lost all my fishing gear and anything else of value not bolted down. They cut through the cyclone fence so they could reach in and open the gate. They hit boats that were under full canvass covers so they couldn't be seen while gathering stuff. To access my gear they literally ripped the padlocked cuddy cabin door off the frame. BTW, fingerprint powder is hard to get off fiberglass.

This was a calculated break-in and robbery as opposed to a random hit by some dishonest person who happened to walk by and see an opportunity. I would actually be more concerned with the latter.

I think a big difference today, as eShaw mentioned, is prevalent use of video cam's.

Latest posts