question on electric motor for my build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchjerker

Reaction score
Guys

I am doing this build.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40127

I am putting a Sears Gamefisher 9.9 hp on it and am thinking about a transom mount motor.

Do you that 30lb thrust would be enough? I am thinking it will drain the battery pretty fast

Its going to be used on small lakes in upper Michigan, probably just to position the boat for panfishing, I don't see a lot of trying to hold position in the wind vertical jigging or anything like that. Or maybe on no gas motor lakes.

I know its hard to say but what do you think. Is this a mistake?

That looks like a pretty light boat so it may be ok if you aren't fighting much current or wind. My 15 foot Klamath is a bit more built out and heavier and I used a 36 lb thrust motor that came with the boat for a year or two. I found that for my needs which sound similar to yours it wasn't too hard on the battery which I used to start the outboard too. If you already have a 30 lb thrust motor give it a try. For me I found the transom mount frustrating a bit. You had to do a ton of correcting you heading when confronted with wind or current. I once rented a small boat on an electric only lake and it was a PIA going into a wind.

My solution was getting a bow mount Terrova used. The extra power (55#) is nice but the bow mount is what I really appreciate.

Use what you have and see. If it becomes a chore/time consuming to control the boat, and it probably will on windy days, you have the option of not fishing on those days or getting a bigger TM. Looking on CL for a good deal on an upgrade is a good idea as well. Just be ready to jump on the deal right then as those deals don't last long. GL

hey thanks for the replies!

TN- I don't have any motor at this point.

I think I am just going to wait for now and finish up the boat and get it in the water before trying to put a electric on it.

The CL deals are out there, but like was mentioned you have to be fast on the good ones.

I like the lower thrust TM, seem to be a slower speed on the lower setting, which I like for moving a few feet while panfishing. My 30# would push my boat pretty good on the highest setting and if I was relying on that just to stay in position w/ wind or current, it would probably be too windy to enjoy the fishing.

Sorry, mis-read your original post. Since you don't have a TM, then look for a variable speed TM, which will allow you to better control the speed the prop turns, and in turn the boat speed as well. Minn Kota makes several different TM's with variable speed controls that also help extend battery life/usage. Bigger/more thrust is better as you can always use lower power settings with the variable speeds. If you troll for panfish (crappie), then the variable speed ones are almost a necessity to control boat speed once you find the magic speed for the day. Getting a more powerful TM will come in handy for the times when the wind picks up.

I put a 30 lb. Transom mount, manual-controlled, MinnKota on the bow of my very heavy 16 ft. Carolina Skiff. I took the head and reversed it. Like you, I didn't need it for fighting the winds, but just for repositioning the boat when fishing down a shoreline or in lily pads.

I used it for years. The battery was never a problem, but I don't fish for more than four or five hours at a time. I still think that was my favorite arrangement without spending big $$$$ for a fully electronic controlled TM.

richg99

thanks your thoughts are very helpful

I am trying to balance the need for more power to the price I would like to be at.

I am thinking of a Minnkota Endura Max 40 lb.

It has variable speed and also the Maximizer circuitry which I have found works pretty well from my past experiences.

that's if I have to buy new.

I had a Crestliner with a AP 65 power drive with the co pilot on it and that thing was great, but I am not putting something like that on this little boat. And it was 24v so that's out anyway, gotta keep it at 12v

Latest posts