Rock guard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're moving forward I think you'd hit the skid plate on the front of the skeg before you bent the bottom plate.

No, I haven't used one.

I made my own, kind of a hybrid of a couple. It is 1/8" SS I have beat and banged it for 3 years now. I can promise you it has saved me a bunch of trouble. And I had to put that bend in it with a 20 ton press, I'll promise you that you won't bend it up into the prop.
https://flic.kr/p/27sQ8Bv

Yes I have used that prop guard and have one on my motor now. It does a good job and I have not had a problem with it bending up. It does however take about 2-3 mph off the top speed. It seems to me it’s the equivalent of throwing another fat guy in the boat. The only other issue is that when used on a gravelly bottom where it is kicking up rocks it is possible for a rock to get between the guard and prop. In this situation it dinged the prop a little. The guard is welded stainless and is fairly ding resistant. I run a lot in a rocky river where it earns its keep. Whenever I run in safer water I take the time to remove it as it is a drag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you open those slots in the front side it cuts down on the drag considerably. When I first made mine I had smaller holes and it did drag quite a bit, I opened up the slots in the front and that changed it considerably. I am sure it still has some parasitic value but I haven't check mine without it to see. I wasn't interested enough in top speed as much as saving my prop.

nccatfisher said:
If you open those slots in the front side it cuts down on the drag considerably. When I first made mine I had smaller holes and it did drag quite a bit, I opened up the slots in the front and that changed it considerably. I am sure it still has some parasitic value but I haven't check mine without it to see. I wasn't interested enough in top speed as much as saving my prop.
I would like to see a photo of the prop guard you made, including the openings in the front. The Macs I use has a couple small slots in the front. Just interested in how this would compare to what you did?

Mine is similar to a Macs. I have never actually seen a Macs but seen pics. I made the holes considerably bigger. I'll get pics of mine this evening.

ktoelke54 said:
Yes I have used that prop guard and have one on my motor now. It does a good job and I have not had a problem with it bending up. It does however take about 2-3 mph off the top speed. It seems to me it’s the equivalent of throwing another fat guy in the boat. The only other issue is that when used on a gravelly bottom where it is kicking up rocks it is possible for a rock to get between the guard and prop. In this situation it dinged the prop a little. The guard is welded stainless and is fairly ding resistant. I run a lot in a rocky river where it earns its keep. Whenever I run in safer water I take the time to remove it as it is a drag.

+1 everything said above.
I probably should have mounted mine with a bit more space between it and the prop.

The skeg is designed to be sacrificial to a degree, I never really understood these things but I don't run rocky rivers, so maybe I'm just not the target audience. I did build this to keep the downrigger cables from getting caught in the kicker:

20180620_180547-L.jpg

The openings are much bigger in the front on mine. Sorry for the skewed pic. Bad back doesn't bend well.
You can see in the other pic it is 1/8" SS and the sides beside those holes running up the edge where you can tell is thin has 3/8" SS rod reinforcing it. It is extremely sturdy.https://flic.kr/p/2jyZVUk
https://flic.kr/p/27sQ8Bv

Two questions:

(1) If you hit a rock hard enough, does your outboard tip up? I know mine is locked down when it's in the down position but I don't know if that latching mechanism is designed to break away at some amount of force or if a hard enough hit just rips the outboard off of the transom.

jethro said:
The skeg is designed to be sacrificial to a degree, I never really understood these things but I don't run rocky rivers, so maybe I'm just not the target audience. I did build this to keep the downrigger cables from getting caught in the kicker:

20180620_180547-L.jpg

(2) Do you tend to get grass or other debris caught in the guard? I usually run in a salt marsh that's just thousands of acres of reeds. I get reeds tangled around my motor once in a while. I like the idea of protection all around the prop but I think the ring would collect reeds.

Question 1)
I run with the motor unlocked so it can tip up if I hit something.
Question2)
I haven't run it in weeds so I can't answer.

I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that a motor with tilt/trim won't move up if you strike something on plane. I know a tiller model will because I've done it with one of those. I'd like a guard like this for submerged trees. Some of the lakes I run in, this can be a problem.

maintenanceguy said:
(2) Do you tend to get grass or other debris caught in the guard? I usually run in a salt marsh that's just thousands of acres of reeds. I get reeds tangled around my motor once in a while. I like the idea of protection all around the prop but I think the ring would collect reeds.

I don't use it in any water that has weeds or reeds, it's strictly a kicker for coldwater trolling. It's never really collected anything on it. Also keep in mind the max speed I am using it is 2.4mph.

These are what I had made up.Not cheap to have someone weld them up,but the Marina has been making them for many years.Paying for the labor really.Materials can’t be too much.Custom made for each motor.Good for the rocky river near me.

Attachments

• 27F9A8AD-4AB4-4322-87E8-CC7250831A91.jpeg
    27F9A8AD-4AB4-4322-87E8-CC7250831A91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 8D1D4068-43A4-40F8-9DC7-C0C2978C9FEA.jpeg
    8D1D4068-43A4-40F8-9DC7-C0C2978C9FEA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32

Latest posts