South Dakota Fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOW ARE YOU CATSCHING THOSE EYES? JIGS? CRAWLER HARNESSES? JUST CURIOUS, I MAINLY DRAG WORMS AROUND HERE BUT JUST WONDERING WHATS YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO FISH FOR THEM, AND IF YOU HAD ANY COLOR COMBO THAT HAVE WORKED BETTER THAN OTHERS I KNOW FISH ARE DIFFERENT WHEN IT COMES TO OTHER BODIES OF WATER, WAS JUST THINKING I MIGHT FIND SOMETHING I HAVENT TRIED YET. NICE FISH KEEP THE PICS COMING,

Month of June in evenings we were casting #7 & # 9 perch counts downs to shoreline. as things have been weeding up we use 2 poles one with slip bobber & other with jig both tipped with leeches. working always the windblown side of lake.
With things heating up & weeds getting thicker we are casting 6" Gulp Alive rigged weedless on jig or carolina rig it drop them in openings in weeds.
One would be surprised how good using bass tactics for fishing in weeds work for walleyes during this heat of summer. :D :D :D
Have alot of people stumped here wondering how we are catching them during the days. :D Some see us catching them & come in & try not knowing we are using weedless setups & leave frustrated because all they get are weeds. Lot of peopel think you also need you line & hook weed free to catch a eye. Well not fishing in thick weeds they will still hit it.

THERES A COUPLE LIL LAKES BY ME THAT THE BASS FISHERMAN CRY ALOT ABOUT THE WALLEYES THEY CATCH WHILE BASSIN, IVE NEVER REALY TRIED THAT IM GONNA I THINK GOT A LOT GOING ON HERE LATELY GETTING MARRIED IN OCTOBER SO ITS A LIL CRAZY RIGHT NOW :? , SHE CAN HAVE THIS YEAR I TOLD HER TO LEAVE ME ALONE NEXT YEAR :D

Made a trip up to "fish meca" in NE South Dakota this weekend. Couple friends were up there too. I hooked up with some family members from up there. We caught countless number of walleyes Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. :D :D Friends that were up there did well too. One friend hit a lake known for bigger fish & got 3 over 27" like one in picture above. :D

been having some great fishing last couple weeks.
I got this dandy 28" eye this evening & about 30 others in the 17"-20" range.
Photo1651.jpg

Last night had friend out he got this nice 21" eye & we got around 25 others in the 16"-18" range.
Photo1631.jpg

Been having great Sept. here in SD.
Spent holiday weekend with my parents. we got limit of fish every day we went out.
Here's picture from one of the days.
Photo189.jpg

Then this weekend went up again. Caught & released friday, but got these dandies with bro -inlaw.
Saturday
Photo193.jpg

Sunday
Photo196.jpg

Here's picture of me holding a perch & eye.
Perch were 1.5 to 1.75 lbs.
Eyes were in the 17" to 24" range.
Photo195B.jpg

I am heading to SD next month for the Pheasant Opener (and we drew duck licenses this year!!!), and you have me THIS close to bringing a rod and reel with me too...

breachless said:
I am heading to SD next month for the Pheasant Opener (and we drew duck licenses this year!!!), and you have me THIS close to bringing a rod and reel with me too...

If you are anywhere specially in north eastern SD or around Missouri river. I would bring a pole, if have free time in evening or in morning before the hunt being shooting time for pheasant isn't til noon. Odds are pretty good you can get some fish. most bodies of water you duck hunt in NE have eyes in them too. you could through line & fish while you are waiting for duck or geese to come in.

Buddy & I went up to local bar after dark & picked up a couple fat girls. Here's picture of buddy holding one.
Oh.......The bar we went to is "The Sand Bar" :D
Photo197.jpg

OK, that does it... I'm coming to visit you next spring...
No seriously, I'm coming... got room in your boat for a still spry 71 year old that just cant seem to catch a walleye here in MO.?
Ron

freetofish said:
OK, that does it... I'm coming to visit you next spring...
No seriously, I'm coming... got room in your boat for a still spry 71 year old that just cant seem to catch a walleye here in MO.?
Ron

You come to state, I'll fix you up. I fish average 4-5 days a week. Always room for a fellow tin boat forum member. I live in SE where there is fair population of eyes. I can not guarantee you catch many hawg eyes, but can get you on some fair eyes.

Buddy of mine guides in NE SD, where the eye numbers are the largest. Odd are pretty good of getting limits & chance at hawg are pretty good there.

ill be in south dakota this fall, got drawn for a south river deer hunt, pretty excited cant wait to bust some pheasants also :D :D

BOB350RX said:
ill be in south dakota this fall, got drawn for a south river deer hunt, pretty excited cant wait to bust some pheasants also :D :D

If taking I90 you will be driving by just a few miles from my home & fishing holes. :D
If so some great walleye fishing along Missouri River in that area may have to through in a pole.

The guy I fish with went up to north east fishing with his son (who is a fishing guide up in NE SD) got 4-5 of these dandies today.
I wish I could have made it up there with them but was busy around home taking other friend's son out goose hunting on opening duck season.

0924111532.jpg

Our goose hunting results:
Photo202.jpg