South Dakota Fish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
River what kind of fish is that? Saltwater? I wish some of our freshwater fish reached size of salt water fish.
Size of it looks like it would have put but a heck of a fight.
Being land locked we just have to settle for these small ones from other evening. Here's sample of evening :D
1013110242.jpg

1012112259.jpg

1013110206a.jpg

BOB350RX said:
about a month ill be out your way, cant wait

We could be fishing on ice by then. Usually by Thanksgiving we are fishing on ice in alot of the state. by mid to late December, we can drive our pickups on lakes. :D

Wallijig said:
River what kind of fish is that? Saltwater? I wish some of our freshwater fish reached size of salt water fish.
Size of it looks like it would have put but a heck of a fight.

That is a red drum (aka channel bass) from the Neuse river near Oriental NC.
We also catch them from the beaches on the OBX, which is a bit more challenging than from a boat! :D

Was a beautiful October evening to be out on water .
Buddy & I caught and released around a dozen of these dandies.
Photo2151.jpg

Totally awesome eyes. I'm going to have to catch some of those some day. I need to start planning a trip further north.

My buddy that guides up in NE SD took a film crew out over weekend. they caught multiple eyes from 6lbs and up. 1st cast they got one that was 8lbs. This years fall bite is unbelievable!!! It only took them 2 hrs. to film enough walleye catches to do 2-3 shows. next day he took them to a small mouth bass lake. Took them 1.5 hrs. to have enough film in can for 2-3 shows. They said in the 15 yrs they have been doing program they have never caught fish of this quality over & over this fast. Will air in F/Ssports channel next spring.

Here's the nicest eye of the day.
it weighed 10lbs 9oz.
111023950001.jpg

WOW YOU GUYS HAVE SOME VERY CLEAN FISH UP THERE... GOT ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YA THOUGH, IM HEADED YOUR WAY IN ABOUT 2.5 WEEKS FOR SOME DEER HUNTING, WAS WONDERING IF MOST OF THE CORN IS OFF, OR IF THE FARMERS ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THEY ARE AROUND HERE, JUST IT BEING TOO WET TO DO ANYTHING WITH IT, NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO HUNTING CORN ROWS BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS, THANKS

BOB350RX said:
WOW YOU GUYS HAVE SOME VERY CLEAN FISH UP THERE... GOT ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YA THOUGH, IM HEADED YOUR WAY IN ABOUT 2.5 WEEKS FOR SOME DEER HUNTING, WAS WONDERING IF MOST OF THE CORN IS OFF, OR IF THE FARMERS ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THEY ARE AROUND HERE, JUST IT BEING TOO WET TO DO ANYTHING WITH IT, NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO HUNTING CORN ROWS BUT IT IS WHAT IT IS, THANKS

Corn harvest is doing great. We have not had rain here since August. Heard report on radio that over 90% of the corn should be out be end of month. We are finally supposed to get some cooler temps this week I plan on being in deer stand with bow coming up this weekend. However I still will be on water after dark looking for some hawg eyes. :D :D

The weather is cooling down, but fishing is heating up. :D :D
Been getting some dandies. here's fishing buddy with another.

btw BOB350RX, I drove around yesterday, one would have a hard time finding a corn field not harvested now in area I live.

Photo2181.jpg

AWESOME I CANT WAIT, ARE YOU ANYWHERE NEAR GREGORY, SD? MY UNCLE SAYS THATS THE CLOSEST TOWN TO WHERE WE WILL BE, WHERE ARE YOU GUYS AT RIGHT NOW , PRE-RUT,OR HAS THE RUT STARTED, OURS IS FULL BLOWN RIGHT NOW. ONLY 2 WEEKS TO GO, STARTED PACKING LAST NIGHT... :D :D :D

BOB350RX said:
AWESOME I CANT WAIT, ARE YOU ANYWHERE NEAR GREGORY, SD? MY UNCLE SAYS THATS THE CLOSEST TOWN TO WHERE WE WILL BE, WHERE ARE YOU GUYS AT RIGHT NOW , PRE-RUT,OR HAS THE RUT STARTED, OURS IS FULL BLOWN RIGHT NOW. ONLY 2 WEEKS TO GO, STARTED PACKING LAST NIGHT... :D :D :D

I live and do most of my fishing in SE South Dakota. Also alot of fishing in NE SD. I live in Sioux Falls.

The Gregory area is west of me couple hrs. drive. It's completely different terrian then around here. That area holds mulies and whitetail deer. Think rut is on verge of happening. We see small bucks running around here but big bucks are only being caught on camera 3-4 am in morning.
Gregory is the pheasant meca of SD. You will see lot pf birds. also You will see turkeys, we have merrian, easterns, and rios in Gregory co. I do my turkey hunting in Gregory county.
As for fishing Gregory area is known more for it's private bass ponds, not much walleye fisheries in area. If you are west of Gregory you will not be far from Missouri river. which is a excellent fishery & I hear they are doing real well there on eyes right now. They are getting the nice salmon from shore north of you couple hrs. by Pierre also.

Happy Halloween!!!!
I plan on treating myself and hopefully tricking some walleyes this evening. :D :D :D

good luck on those eyes, the tags that we where drawn for are for either muleys or whitetail, and we are gonna get into pheasants while we are there, im afraid that it will ruin me hunting back home though, i went to canada one year just outta high school with the same uncle and i didnt fish in ohio for 2 yrs, just had no interest... well see what happens thanks for the heads up on the corn situation, happy halloween also, and bust a hawg for me!!! i put the boat away last night so im done till april :( , but i wont miss the spring bite like i did this year!!! :wink: