Spare spools

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
For the people who actually get spare spools when they buy spinning reels.

Do you really actually use the spare spool? I always buy the spinning reel when it comes with a spare spool but I notice I never ever use it unless the one on the reel gets hacked up.

I rarely use it; I only use it when I put different line on it that I need (of course I only have 2 setups, 1 of them being a spinning). I used to put two different lb test monos, but now I only use one fluoro.

I do for my saltwater set ups. I keep a reserve spool for the inevitable loss of line. Usually the spare spool has the same test and type line as the one on the reel.

However, with that being said, I have never, ever swapped out a spool during the fishing day. I always just pick up another rod and reel that is ready to go.

I do carry an extra reel in my tackle bag when I am not on my boat as a backup.

I use the spare spool that came with my Sedona to keep spooled up with Power Pro Braid. I like to use it when i'm fishing the river because its alot more sensitive, then when I fish the lake, just switch em' back.

I almost always have it spooled just in case, but yep, barly used it. Speaking of spinning reels, last year I bought the Daiwa Exceler! Man what a great reel for the price! It takes a while before the line twist starts up. I bought another for this year too. Sweet reels, check em out.

Pont said:
I almost always have it spooled just in case, but yep, barly used it. Speaking of spinning reels, last year I bought the Daiwa Exceler! Man what a great reel for the price! It takes a while before the line twist starts up. I bought another for this year too. Sweet reels, check em out.

I have heard nothing but good things about this reel. You can get it at dicks with the coupon for $55. I might bite. :D

I normally put a different # class line on it and use it depending on where I am fishing. That way I can use the same rod n' reel for smallies, trout, and largemouth on totally different bodies of water.

Fishin NJ said:
I spool them up but have never once used one of mine. Now once i start getting better reels this spring, I plan on spooling them up with different lines. This way i can test out a new type/brand of line and if i don't like it my trip is not shot, i just switch back. I also plan on buying a hard case to store the spare spools in.

I did buy one of these and its a nice little setup.

Spool Case

I generally don't use them, but when I do I will have the one I use most spooled with sufix braid, and the other filled with mono. The only reason I iver use mono is if I am fishing fast moving deep holes in the river and I need my line to sink faster than braid with a flouro leader.

I have a Daiwa Exceller too, for the price I cannot complain at all. I really can't complain without factoring in the price. I am unsure of my next spinning reel purchase due to the the new line of shimanos, but I may have to get another daiwa. They also came out with an exceller baitcaster, I handled it at a sports show and it feels pretty nice, and its pretty cheap too.

The only times i have used spare spools is when crappie fishin with ULs, The only reason i do that is because i normally only take one or two rods out. For whatever reason i dont work well with light line and, quite often seem to get it knoted all up.

For my lightest setup, I will actually change spools. When I'm fishing in a creek for bream, I'll use four or six pound test. I'll throw 1/32 ounce spinners and crappie jigs on that setup. When I'm fishing for bream in ponds or occasionally lakes, I'll swap out spools to one with 8 pound line on it. I try to throw where the fish are and that sometimes means pulling sticks back to the boat, so I need a heavier line. Also, I have just as good of a chance of hooking into a bass as a bream, so the heavier line lets me have that little bit of extra leverage on a bass.

I have a couple of spinning reels I switch spools on... mostly because I use those rods for both River and Lake fishing and need to change line size between the two. Other than that, I never use them.

Thanks for the responses.

Here is another question then...If your buying a reel, Would a determining factor be a free spare spool?

Would you rather a cheaper reel with an option to buy a spare spool if needed?

I never use spare spools, I found out the hard way the spare spool has more memory than the original spool, I carry a couple spinning rods, one for 6lb test and the other for 8 lb test, I carry a couple bait casters one with 10 lb test and one with 12 lb test. I'm set. If I plan on throwing another light line bait i rig another rod and the same with heavier line.

I rather put the money towards a better reel than buy one with a spare spool, This is just me saying what I would do, it works for me.

Here is another question then...If your buying a reel, Would a determining factor be a free spare spool?

Generally higher end reels come with a spare identical spool. A lot of times if it is a cheaper reel that has an aluminum spool, they will give you a graphite spare spool. A spare spool kinda seems like a given to me, but it is hardly a selling point. I do, however, like having a spare spool around in case my drag gets worn out, I have a new drag ready to use.

I never use spare spools, I found out the hard way the spare spool has more memory than the original spool

No offense, but I really cannot see how a spare spool could make more memory than the original. Almost always the spare spool is identical, or at most a different material, but still identical. Did you have your spare spool spooled up and stored that way? If that was the case, having your line on a spool and not using will give you tons of memory. Was the line the same? Just wondering because I have never had any problems like that with a spare spool.

jkbirocz said:

Generally higher end reels come with a spare identical spool. A lot of times if it is a cheaper reel that has an aluminum spool, they will give you a graphite spare spool. A spare spool kinda seems like a given to me, but it is hardly a selling point. I do, however, like having a spare spool around in case my drag gets worn out, I have a new drag ready to use.

I never use spare spools, I found out the hard way the spare spool has more memory than the original spool

No offense, but I really cannot see how a spare spool could make more memory than the original. Almost always the spare spool is identical, or at most a different material, but still identical. Did you have your spare spool spooled up and stored that way? If that was the case, having your line on a spool and not using will give you tons of memory. Was the line the same? Just wondering because I have never had any problems like that with a spare spool.

I think maybe if you spool it up and let it sit there for months and not use it, it could have more memory?

This happened the only time I decided to do the spare spool thing, dont remember how long it set without being used, it wasnt too long, since i change my line pretty frequent so instead of changing line i changed spool and what a mess, Dude no offence taken, I was stating fact, everyone has different experiences with fishing, now if you were to say i was bullsh#t thats a horse of another color, but I didnt take it that way.