Suggestions on a 12 foot Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnsMedia

Reaction score
My father and I recently went out and purchased a 12' Starcraft boat for $150. Two days later, I washed it and got some of the algae off the side. The man we bought it from said that he hadn't used it in 3 years and he used to run it with a 5hp motor. I just found this site, and hoped that you guys could give some insight as to what we should do with it. Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• WP_20170607_17_16_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170607_17_16_00_Pro.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,692
  • WP_20170607_17_16_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170607_17_16_07_Pro.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,692
  • WP_20170607_17_17_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170607_17_17_19_Pro.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,692
  • WP_20170607_17_17_30_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170607_17_17_30_Pro.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,692
  • WP_20170607_17_17_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170607_17_17_39_Pro.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,692
The SKY is the limit! Use it as is or clean up with a good washing of a copper or nylon scrubbie pad with white vinegar, then hose off.

Paint? Many options displayed here - look up posts by our resident paint guru, Johnny.

Raised Decks? IMHO very tough on a boat that size, but that's my opinion only.

Floors? On boats that size I like to keep weight to a minimum, so I go with no floor or only a floor wode enough to walk forward on easily, maybe 24-28" wide.

I have a vintage 12' Starcraft w/ an 8hp. Somedays wish it were a 10hp, bit she moves out nicely. And homestly, for any other trip/use, I just take my bigger skiff.

DaleH said:
The SKY is the limit! Use it as is or clean up with a good washing of a copper or nylon scrubbie pad with white vinegar, then hose off.

Paint? Many options displayed here - look up posts by our resident paint guru, Johnny.

Raised Decks? IMHO very tough on a boat that size, but that's my opinion only.

Floors? On boats that size I like to keep weight to a minimum, so I go with no floor or only a floor wode enough to walk forward on easily, maybe 24-28" wide.

I have a vintage 12' Starcraft w/ an 8hp. Somedays wish it were a 10hp, bit she moves out nicely. And homestly, for any other trip/use, I just take my bigger skiff.

Very true, it didn't have a trailer, so I may just sand everything nicely and put some paint on it.

Johnny said:
it's summer time - go play in the water !!!

oh, Welcome Aboard !

** spend the summer enjoying your new boat - take notes as to what
you would like change or fix - do the modifications in the winter.

Thank you for the advice, as I haven't even had it on the water yet! #-o

JohnsMedia said:
... so I may just sand everything nicely and put some paint on it.

BEFORE painting, sand loose paint, then clean up any bare tin places with a good washing of a copper or nylon scrubbie pad with white vinegar, then hose off. Then prime any bare spots, to be painted, with aluminum etching (zinc chromate) primer. Then paint ...

FWIW here's the painting (Rust-Oleum enamel) that my 12-year old girl did on her 12' skiff: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43158

DaleH said:
JohnsMedia said:
... so I may just sand everything nicely and put some paint on it.

BEFORE painting, sand loose paint, then clean up any bare tin places with a good washing of a copper or nylon scrubbie pad with white vinegar, then hose off. Then prime any bare spots, to be painted, with aluminum etching (zinc chromate) primer. Then paint ...

FWIW here's the painting (Rust-Oleum enamel) that my 12-year old girl did on her 12' skiff: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43158

Thank you for your insight and your daughter did a nice job painting that 12'! Would you recommend just a spray paint or is there a special marine paint? Thank you!

I would second the recommendation to put it in the water and try it out for a while. See if any leaks and go from there. As you use it, things will come to mind that you would like to have or that would make it more enjoyable to use. You may also determine that this boat does not serve the purpose you wanted, so you don't waste a bunch of time on it. Won't really know until you use it for a while and see what you feel about it. :)

Fire1386 said:
I would second the recommendation to put it in the water and try it out for a while. See if any leaks and go from there. As you use it, things will come to mind that you would like to have or that would make it more enjoyable to use. You may also determine that this boat does not serve the purpose you wanted, so you don't waste a bunch of time on it. Won't really know until you use it for a while and see what you feel about it. :)
I'll try doing that. Tomorrow (fathers day) we are going to give it a shot at a local lake, and we'll go from there!

JohnsMedia said:
I'll try doing that. Tomorrow (fathers day) we are going to give it a shot at a local lake, and we'll go from there!

Well?? How'd it go??

:?:

And thanks for the link to your daughter's handywork, @DaleH (don't know if this version of the forum has name notifiers)

I'm looking at a nice old (If I remember correctly) 12' DuraCraft with a 9.5 Johnson and a decent trailer.. I know it floats, but I'm thinking a cleanup and new paint job may be in order..

I'm looking at a nice old (If I remember correctly) 12' DuraCraft with a 9.5 Johnson and a decent trailer.. I know it floats, but I'm thinking a cleanup and new paint job may be in order..

Be a nice light boat to pull behind a motorcycle. :roll:

Agreed!!!
I think my Yamaha C3 scooter will pull it!! :LOL2:

Actually, my old truck friend (Toyota T100) has been upgraded to a 2002 Tundra with a V8, so pulling power isn't an issue.. Actually, the 14' MirroCraft that has been relocated to Kentucky was barely noticeable behind it, so I'm guessing the new 12' will be even easier.

Not to take away from the OP's topic, but I've been reading about several upgrades to these smaller boats. I like the fact that the boat I'm looking at doesn't need much shelter from rain and sun, but on the other hand it'd be nice to deck it a bit and make some storage.. On the other hand, it's a friend's son's boat and I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to buy it.. They're relocating to Chippewa Falls, and have a very nice 20' boat now.. But I can see the 16 year old young man wanting to keep this nice little old boat, even if Mom and Dad say no... :D

Latest posts