Today may be the day... Xpress 1546D

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man alittle cleaning,minor paint,wheels looking great already.
I don't mind the camo to much maybe add a bit more probably look even better.
LOL that wood looked like it came out of a sunking boat.
You must catch some real monsters for a livewell that big,holy pie man.
Good luck with it,hope it fits all your needs.

the camo on it is actually growing on me... and I don't want to sink money into it right away either.. i may fish it like it is for the rest of the season to see what I'm actually going to need vs. what I want and incorporate both into 1 mod because I want to do this right the first time.. I might put some removable decks in it for the time being, but I think I'll be fine for now...

That's good lookin' after you cleaned it up. The basic boat looks solid. Lots to work with. Question for you. I read somewhere that after a certain point, adding more power does no good. I ask because I saw a boat at a local lake (Marsh Creek in Pa.) with three 46's on the back that were locked in place & had on/off switches up front. He also had one 55 up front for power & steering. doesn't the extra barrery weight kind of negate the power that you get?
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

you're never hijiacking a thread with those questions - I welcome all comments

As far as the added weight issue with the batteries... I don't honestly know. In the 1236 I sold I had 4 total batteries (all 29 series). 2 up front for the 40lb TM and then 2 in the rear, each running a 50lb and 55lb TM.

I ran the boat at first with just 2 batteries and the 40lb. Then I added the rear 2 and my speed picked up dramatically.

There is another guy in my club who has a 55lb on the bow, and 2 - 30lbs in the rear... and he outran me in my 12' boat. I think the more you can put up front as far as thrust, the faster you will move. I only put the 2 in the rear to take some of the load of the front trolling motor from doing all the work. I'm not worried too much about weight - I fish electric only lakes and I really need all the juice I can get to be able to make it every where around the lake atleast 2 times to hit my spots.

If it was me, I'd leave it camo. It would be one thing it needed to be repaired, but stripping it down and painting is a lot of work when what's there really doesn't look bad. Like you said it kinda grows on ya.

russ010 said:
the camo on it is actually growing on me... and I don't want to sink money into it right away either.. i may fish it like it is for the rest of the season to see what I'm actually going to need vs. what I want and incorporate both into 1 mod because I want to do this right the first time.. I might put some removable decks in it for the time being, but I think I'll be fine for now...

and it's growing on me because I really don't want to paint it... I'm going to let this stuff get messed up real good, then I'll do the makeover the way I really want to. I'm going to let the funds build back up and spend my money on what I really want - BIGGGGG TROLLING MOTOR!! the paint can wait and I really am starting to like the camo. I still need to take a scrub brush to the boat... it keeps getting lighter in color the more I clean it which I think will benefit me in the long run in this Georgia sun and heat.

But ya know... I haven't seen another boat like this one with cat tails as camo... I think you'd be able to spot me a ways off anyway... unless I'm in cat tails :roll:

Solid boat, Russ. Really like the open layout and the high ribs. I think you got an awesome deal for that puppy, was totally worth the wait. Are there any center console electric boats? Lol, because this boat is perfect for it.

I think leaving it the way it is for now, tourny season, is smart. I would think, however, that some storage and decking is in order not only for the way it looks, but for functionality. Taking everything out of the boat gets real old real quick. The framing, electricity, and such won't take someone like you long. So if there is a lull in tournaments, make a move to do it. I don't know if you need to paint the whole inside past where it will be covered. It will save you money and time to do it up to the point that you only need it. That being said, when it's time to sell (if that ever happens) and you have to rip out the mods, you'll have a weird looking boat, ha. But it depends, I think since good paint is a bit expensive, I am going to do mine up to the point of the mods, we'll see.

Bakc to your boat, what's the HP rating and capacity plate say? I don't remember and I don't wanna search, lol. That is a solid boat, love the all weld.

The boat says it rated for 700lbs all persons and gear, and a 25HP motor. Not sure why because the transom is solid and it has a brace right in the middle.

As far as modding goes... I've decided to put a 4x8 sheet of carpeted 1/2" ply in the floor for this weekend. I walked in it last night with my Crocs (shoes I wear while fishing) and it was wet. I almost broke my neck a few times it was so slick.

I am going to do some simple storage compartments and all... probably start on that next week. Work is busy right now so I don't have much time to work when I get home. I've got to fabricate me a trolling motor mount for the bow, but for this weekend it might just have to be a couple of 2x6's just to be able to fish.

That big a## cooler I have is taking up a lot of room, and I'm probably going to end up running it long ways up the boat, then be able to walk up and down the sides. It sits too high to try and get on to get to the back. Doesn't bother me, but I don't want my wife trying to do that. I even thought about cutting down the top of the cooler, but I haven't decided how I want to to do that yet. I can still use the lid probably, and make it work, but I want to have enough time to think about it and plan it out before I start hacking away.

The paint is going to stay like it is for a while... I just need to give it a good wash and scrubbing. If I do paint the inside, I'll use something like Rustoleum for it. The outside I'll use Brightside Interlux or Pettit Easy Poxy. I painted my last boat with Pettit, and I really liked the outcome. I can paint this boat for about $100 (I've got all the supplies, just need to get the paint). Painting is really the easy part though - bassboy1 said he would help me flip it over when the time comes.

Yeah. I think what you said is a good idea. The only reason I would use the topside on the inside because that is what I have left over. I have a quart of my blue and half a quart or more of the steel gray - both interlux brightside.

As for the cooler, if it were me I would also put longways, and have it flush with the deck if you can, or put on the side and just have one side to walk by on. I am curious to see how stable it is out there, because my boat is the same dimensions I believe. They are also both rated for the same HP, 25, which kind of shocked me as well because of the brace. But it's not going to make a huge difference for me because I plan on either building it up or using the Mini Jacker for my long shaft, high thrust 9.9.

The flat floor is a good idea as the ribs also get in the way, in addition to how slippery it gets. You're all set, just need the time to do it all, and of course the weather to cooperate (which is tough to have in May sometimes).

one thing about those ribs.... they are 2" high... so I can put a plano box down there or something. I'm going to have to figure something out for that portion later one... but it's starting to come together in my mind

russ010 said:
one thing about those ribs.... they are 2" high... so I can put a plano box down there or something. I'm going to have to figure something out for that portion later one... but it's starting to come together in my mind

That's just how mine are, super high - but will give solid drainage for any mods I think.

I wouldn't paint that boat personally. I really like what you got! I'm sure I'd mod some, and add some carpet, electronics, etc, but you got a great boat! Congrats!

Boat looks really good now. How much time have you spent making motor noises in it?

Suggestion, is it possible to cut the bottom of the cooler out (the insulations etc) and keep the inner skin intact so it will sit lower? Personally I think it's too big for the boat and you would be happier making one or getting one made from aluminum (18" x18" x30") that would fit the boat better and do you own insulation etc.

Jamie

I know you're probably outside working on it, but just wanted to hear how its maiden voyage went yesterday.

well.... lucky me - I have no pictures. Seems all the pics I took Saturday night had something happen to them on my camera and they aren't there anymore.

But anyways... I started working on the boat Friday night to get it ready for our Saturday tourney. I finished working on the boat at 2am and got in bed around 2:30 only to wake back up at 5am to head out for the lake.

All in all - this boat is AWESOME!!! and it flies with that 71# TM on the front. It actually moves even better than my 1236 with just the 2 rear trolling motors going. But I do have the spaces far apart.

I would have taken more pics now had I known that the camera didn't take, but since I don't have a tarp and my garage space is full of the crap out of my other boat - this boat is sitting outside naked. I took all the motors and the batteries and floors back out just in case it rains.

I did encounter one problem... but it was with the trailer. Those bearing buddies that I put on.... well, one didn't make it out of my driveway. I didn't notice it until I was about to load the boat up. I looked down at the wheels and noticed something red - that was the wheel bearing grease covering the castle nut! I looked at it closer, and the bearing buddy broke off inside the hub, so tomorrow I'll be taking it all apart and trying to tap it out. But that's ok, I might as well pack the rear bearings while I'm in there... and I think I'm going to have to replace that seal - I've got grease all over the inside of that back wheel to clean off.

for those interested in the tournament - it was a tough day needless to say. I came in my usual 2nd place (but I took over in points)... and I won big fish with 1.3 lbs. Winning sack had just over 4lbs (bassfisher6 from tinboats won)

You can check out the results here, forgot to take pictures at the weigh-in here too.... what a weekend for pictures - https://www.bassanglersofnorthgeorgia.com/lathem53009.html.

Can anybody tell me how to determine what size hubs my trailer has?

I think I can just measure the outside diameter of the spindle, but I'm not certain. I'm looking HERE at the different hubs, and I have no idea which one would fit mine... I have 4.8 x 12 wheels, 5 studs at 4.5" bolt circle.

I think instead of trying to get that bearing buddy out that broke off, I'm just going to do it right and replace the whole dang thing at one time and be done with it (both sides...).

I would think Spindle diameter, but am not 100% sure... where's Bassboy when we really need him? I think changing out the hubs is a wise move. Just something you won't have to worry about anymore.

yea.. I've got new grease all over the inside of that wheel where the bearing broke, so I'm pretty sure the rear seal is gone - that's why I want to change out everything. I noticed when I repacked the bearings that there was a piece of the inside of the hub chipped... I wanted to change it then, but I didn't have time before the tournament.

What's a good way to clean the grease off without making a mess? I think I can use brake cleaner, but I'm not certain...

set your hub on a flat surface facing up. measure top to bottom. then get the numbers off of your bearing / race and match them up. if you cant find your numbers on there call a parts store and get them to match your numbers up with theirs, as part numbers change like my underwear

how did the buddy bearing brake? are the bearings pitting?

for grease, whipe all you can out with a rag, then soak a rag in brake clean and wipe'r down again. should be gone

btw: thanks for the websight :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts