Trailer Rebuild: Winch Hook problems with Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before I carpet the boards just wanted to make sure this is correct. adding the 2x4 makes it feel so much more stable and totally rock solid.

Full_Size_Render_4.jpg

Full_Size_Render_3.jpg

Paint the wood flat black before you add the carpet and the whole affair will look professional. Nicely done.

As for the tie-down in the aft I use a strap that goes from the trailer, over the boat and then back down to the trailer. To make your tie-downs work you may have to do the same thing you did with the winch strap hook. Perhaps a piece of cloth strapping made into a loop and then stitched so it hangs from the handles. Or maybe a piece of metal bent to hook over the transom with a loop at the end to attach the tie-down. The rear tie-down is to keep the back of the boat from bouncing on rough roads and curbs and such. It does not have to be a major assembly. I used one ratchet strap on my 12' jon with one hook over the transom and the other on the rear cross-member of the trailer. It was about centered on the boat as I carried the trolling motor in the boat instead of attached to it.

hagbard said:
Thanks for the replies. Is the carpet for the boat or the woods protection?
For the boat. It actually does the wood harm if it were to get wet. The carpet will keep the wood wet increasing the possibility of rot. BIT - not a huge concern for the bow stop as it is not likely to get and stay wet. It is more of a concern for the trailer bunks - which on your trailer appear to be roller bunks.

In my world, since I have a lot of flat bar in my collection,
I would make a couple of large "L" brackets as indicated
by the orange lines in the photo. Also, I would just use a couple
of the nylon ratchet straps from the stern handles to the trailer.
Just ensure the handles are bolted all the way through the transom,
not just a few wood screws. If the handles are factory riveted, inspect
them to ensure they can withstand any stress of bouncing up and down.
Or, install 1" stainless eye bolts for the tie down straps. Also, you could
put in a couple of 1" stainless eye bolts on the trailer to give it that professional look.
Cut off the strap excess, seal the ends and dedicate those two straps for the back tie downs.
That is the most eye pleasing aesthetic and professional looking way of doing it.
The most common and easiest way is to just throw a couple of ratchet straps
across the boat to the trailer and let the ends flap in the wind.
At one time or another, you will see this method and see how unprofessional it looks.
Don't over think it.
Block.jpg
Stern.jpg
Tie Down.jpg
jus my Dos Centavos.