Transducer sizes - too big?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moloch16

Reaction score
Been thinking about upgrading my fish finder, however it seems the latest FF have very large transducers. I have a 14' jon with 25HP, when I had a Garmin unit (old model) with a large transducer it would kick up a rooster tail and get me soaked when on plane. I switched to a black and white Lowrance with no DI, no GPS, etc with the classic transducer and that works great no rooster tail when running.

Now I want to get a color FF with GPS etc, but the transducers appear to be huge again, so I'd be back to my rooster tail problem.

I've primarily looked at Lowrance. Maybe Humminbird or Garmin have smaller transducers?

Anyhow, and experience / advice in this area?

Whatever you decide to get it's probably it's positioning more than anything. I know if it is set too low in the water that can happen. Any pics of where and how it's mounted?

Tallpine said:
Whatever you decide to get it's probably it's positioning more than anything. I know if it is set too low in the water that can happen. Any pics of where and how it's mounted?

Right now I have a Lowrance mounted, when I had the issue it was with a Garmin unit with larger ducer. Based on research on this board it seems installation position is likely the culprit, I probably had the Garmin ducer installed too low (thinking lower is better).