Trolling motor opinion needed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattR

Reaction score
I recently came across a Minn Kota 756mx bow mount trolling motor. Seems to be in good shape. The only testing I did with it was to make sure the prop spun when hitting the pedal. I decided to test the steering once I have it mounted on the boat.

What I need an opinion on is I know it is only a 28lb thrust. I will be putting it on a 15 foot Tuffy tri hull (Fiberglass). How underpowered will it be? I usually fish small inland lakes that are approx 50 acres. However, I am hoping it might be good enough to use for boat control while drifting when river fishing. What are your thoughts based on your experiences? I am hoping it will get the job done even though it will be slower than a newer more power trolling motor.

If I had the cash I would buy a newer one, so lack of cash rules out that option.

Thanks,
Matt

I have a 1648 sea ark with a 55lb trolling motor and 12 volt it is ok in nice flat lakes and in a pinch, but I feel that is under powered for my boat and battery drains fast. I know my boat is a bit bigger and the weight may be bit more but I would think at 28 HP and current you may have some issues.

I am new to boating but that is my two cents.

Thanks genxweb and RiverBottomOutdoors for the fast replies.

When I first posted, I was only thinking that it "might" have enough power to keep me going with the current when drifting on a river. More than likely it would have to run on high to possibly accomplish it. Not sure why, yet I never thought of how fast it would drain the battery though. When I head out fishing, I could be out for 10-12 hours. Well it was worth a thought and I am not out too much cash on it.

Thanks again for the replies.
Matt

Might be a dumb question, yet here it goes...lol.

Would the mounting base plate be basically the same as other models? I would have to make a small raised piece for a tm mount and while waiting for a good deal on a better suited tm, I could make the platform while I am waiting. This way I could use this underpowered tm for making the mount. Hoping at least this idea might be a good one..lol.

Matt

Latest posts