what about this

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincansailor

Reaction score
I have an Alumacraft 1432 jon boat. It's all I can afford. I get pretty tired at sitting in it while fishing but is too unstable to stand up in. I am not even going to think about putting any deck in or on it but would like to make it more stable some how. What about some kind of pontoons to each side? Kind of like those canoes the Hawaiians have. ? I thought about getting 2 plastic 55 gal. barrels and somehow make some sort of bracket they could be attached to each side. How stupid would this look? Who would care, right? Anyway, I would like to somehow get some ideas from you folks if any of you think something like this would be feasible. They would need to be where I can take them off of the boat when it is on the trailer. Thanks guys.

55 gal barrels??
Holy moly,don't think you need anything that big.
This is how big the ones are on kayaks.
https://yak-gear.com/OUTRIGGERS.html
https://cgi.ebay.com/kayak-stabilizers-outriggers-retractable-WHOLESALE_W0QQitemZ180362284237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item29fe6e0ccd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Probably make your own,PVC,caps,glue...

I wouldn't go any larger than 4" PVC pipe... you can get that expanding foam that they put in as flotation foam in boats inside it and it should make it buoyant... even though it is probably already with nothing inside it.

How stupid would this look? Who would care, right?

FWIW, I named my boat "The Fish Don't Care" for similar reasons.
:D

I would suggest that you shop around for a larger boat. If you are patient, there are boats that are practically given away. Especially if you sell your boat, you may find a larger one for the same price. I was able to sell my 14 ft v-hull for a 16 ft jon for even money.

Just my two cents.

Ken

a guy pulled up to the landing the other day with his grand son...he had a 4' peice of 5" pvc filled with the foam and capped off on both ends and he mad custom brackets to mount to the boat...his was 32" wide with decks and the pvc helped out like you would never beleve...beleve me i got in the boat and tried it out