What rod length ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancej2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

was wondering what size rod is best for allaround use,so if I want to pitch and flip, one day, and drop shot another and throw a crank/jerk another...you get the picture, what size would be best for that....and no its not the size of your rod ,but how you use it stuff lol

good luck with that flipin is more of a heavy rod and drop shot is finnese then for a crank bait you want a softer tip
imo you wont be able to do it all with one rod.
i asume that you are looking at baitcasting rods so i would suggest getting a 7' med that would as close to the all purpose as ypou can get it wont be perfect for anything but could be used for all

I am with Lefty. Almost all my rods are 7ft. The ones I use the most are 7ft med heavy. They might be a bit heavy for drop shotting though. I usually use a spinning rod for that, also 7ft but medium action.

lancej2, you can't hunt elephant with a squirrel gun., i.e., you can't finesse with a heavy rod. Or maybe you can, but only one application will work well.

My "all-around" bass rig is a 7' Medium action Lew's Laser rod with a Wally Marshall baitcaster on it. This combo does fairly well for what I do. I mostly throw spinner baits, swimbaits, and drag worms and lizards across the bottom. The way I have it set up, it prefers lures in the 1/2 oz weight.

That's a tall order.

To cover the ground you listed, 3 rods are really what you are talking about in my mind.

A medium weight spinning rod somewhere between 6' 6" and 7', a medium weight casting rod between 6' 6" and 7' and a medium heavy weight casting rod 7' long.

If I had to choose just one to cover that ground, I would debate between a 6' 6" and a 7' medium weight casting rod. I'd base the length on the technique that you will likely fish most often.

My most favorite rod that I turn to for most applications is a medium heavy 6'6" spinning rod. I have killed 3 different reels on that rod. I find a 7+ is just too much for me. I have lost some spinnerbait fish because of the rod stiffness, but I'm ok with that - It's not like I'm a tourney fisherman or anything.

Well thanks for all the input, I already have three rods.....a 7ft m/h spinning rod, a 6'6 spinning rod med, and a b/c 6ft m/h. I kind of hoped I had all bases covered, more or less. Weekender,,no turney. So how many do some of you guys have ? I bet some of you have to sneek them in the house you have so many :LOL2:

lancej2 said:
Well thanks for all the input, I already have three rods.....a 7ft m/h spinning rod, a 6'6 spinning rod med, and a b/c 6ft m/h. I kind of hoped I had all bases covered, more or less. Weekender,,no turney. So how many do some of you guys have ? I bet some of you have to sneek them in the house you have so many :LOL2:

I take 6 fishing on about every trip with the boat. But I have 20+ if I count my crappie trolling rods.

2 for panfish, one rigged with nail tails, one with a small spinnerbait
1 (favorite) bass rod rigged with my favorite spinnerbait or frog
1 spinnerbait rod rigged with spinnerbait
1 carolina rigged rod
1 senko/worm or topwater rod depending.

I pretty much cover the lake on my trips 8)

I have 7 rods that I load out with. I don't always take them all though. What I bring depends on what I am going to be fishing.

1 6' 8" medium light shakey head/finesse spinning rod.
2 6' 10" medium tube/drop shot spinning rods.
1 7' heavy flipping/pitching casting rod.
1 7' medium heavy pitching casting rod.
1 6' 10" medium heavy spinner bait casting rod.
1 7' medium casting crankbait rod.

I have at least double that many that are 'retired'.

1 7ft heavy for jigs
1 6-10 heavy( fishes like a mh) for plastics
2 6-6 medium for all types of cranks
1 6-6 mh for spinner baits & top water.
1 6-6 medium spinning rod for drop shot

9 fly rods of varying weights and lengths,4 spinning rods, 2 salmon rods,2 halibut/sturgeon rods and at least 20 different reels.when i buy a new rod i just hang it on the garage wall with the others ,hidden in plain sight :LOL2: .my wallet really takes a beating from the fly lines,$60 a pop minimum, 3 diffrent line cartriges for each reel. you reeeaaallly gotta like fly fishing.

lancej2 said:

For a second there I thought you were talking directly to me. :shock:

I bring 6 to 8 rods with me when I go out on the boat. At least 2, but sometimes 3, when fishing from shore.
Having a lot of rods is nothing to be ashamed of. :p
I own over 50 rods. Between fresh and saltwater, ice, trolling, and rods for specific purposes/techniques, it's easy to do.

If I could only have two rods it would be a 6'9" ML spinning rig for finesse fishing and some small crankbait/spinnerbait duty and a 7' MH baitcaster for dragging plastics on the bottom and throwing into thick grass and lily pads.

Latest posts