Why a floor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmontkid

Reaction score
Okay, dumb question.....

So I have a 91 Coleman Crawdad, and LOVE IT for it being lightweight and not needing a trailer. Thus far, I have done nothing with it except upgrade the seats. I am interested in doing some practical things to it like adding rod holders, figuring out an anchoring system, building some lightweight storage boxes, etc. I usually just fully load it at the house, and once I get to the lake, I strap on a homemade "dolly" and "wheelbarrow" it right down the ramp. Then leave it hooked on in the water, and then wheel it back up the ramp when I"m done.

I see lots of people put plywood floors in the boats. So with the Crawdad and its system of aluminum piping inside it, I guess I could put one in with some self-tapping screws into the pipes or just let it float. My question is this, why benefit do I gain from putting in the floor? I'm adding weight which I'm not excited about, but does it prove to be more stable?

I had a floating floor in my crawdad i felt it did give me a more stable fishing platform
i could stand in the boat without worrying

I like the flat surface of the floor vs sloped for standing or walking around...also not tripping over the ribs and also able to take my shoes off and walk on the carpet on a hot day. Lastly, in the event there is a deluge rainfall during the night when your boat is beached or tied up at the dock, it keeps everything you left laying on the floor up out of the standing water.

I think it is more necessary in a standard ribbed boat than a plastic one. also makes it somewhat quieter to walk around. also some boats are designed so any water entering them goes under the floor to the rear sump.
bumpy

Just comfort for me.

Nice and flat, no ribs, dry if a little water gets in, allows for some modest concealed storage beneath.

Little extra weight makes it more stable up on plane and it's also quieter when hammering wavelets when blasting across the lake to the opposite shore fishing spot.

Gives it just a little more "finished feel". Makes time on the lake just a bit more pleasurable.

BUT:

My 12' Springbok is trailered back and forth.

I wouldn't enjoy muscling it in and out of the truck even when it was nothing more than a shell, motor and miscellaneous bits either though.

Yup, trailer for me!

:)

It's all just personal preference. If you have a flat surface already to carpet over then no need for the plywood floor. My semi v has weird floors and I wanted some below the floor storage. That's the beauty of these mods....personal preference. The only person you have to please is yourself! Have fun with it

No, no flat surface in a Crawdad. Plastic boat with aluminum tubing system. Right now, the previous owner basically put down about 1 18"x18" carpeted wood square to put your feet down on below the seat. Like redbug indirectly said, a Crawdad isn't exactly stable. I compensate by basically staying at the stern where the motors (TM and 5hp OB) are mounted on the transom and fish finder is. I don't move around at all, so all that space in the middle and at the bow is wasted. If I do move around for anyreason, I walk on my knees. As a Lean practitioner, I hate wasted space!!!!!!!!! I may put down a thin floor and convert the bow seat into a wooden box with a built in cooler for my catch. Noone fishes with me right now. My 7 year old will in a few years.

I'm hoping to trade or reduce some weight by not using my OB anymore (motor and gas can) and going with my new 55lb thrust TM. Either way, I still have a battery. The lake I go to, it's not very far at all from the ramp to my secret perch spot. :)

I wish i had pictures of mine I bought it new the first year that they came out in the 80's
i removed all the plastic and replaced it with plywood I cut into the foam in the rear to add a bait well
i installed a 1/2" plywood floor and pedestal seats had a bow mounted trolling motor 24 volt foot controlled
the boat was very stable i could stand and fish without any worries.
I even took it out on the tidal Delaware river with out issues looking back not a smart move on my part
leave the tubes in the bottom and let the floor float on top you wont regret it.

Latest posts