Winter Storage for Batteries and Bow Mount Trolling Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoghunter17

Reaction score
I run electric only lakes and have 4 12-volt batteries in my boat. I am curious if it is alright to leave them outside in the boat over the winter or any other suggestion I should do to make sure they stay healthy?

The boat will only be covered by a tarp and I live in Maryland so the winters don't get below 20 degrees usually.

Also, should I bring my bow mount trolling motor in from the cold and store it inside?

Thanks for any suggestions, Much appreciated!

disconnect the batteries and clean terminals and put on a coat of dielectric grease to help to protect from corrision. when you get ready to use again then clean if needed, check water levels, hit each one with a little charger action to make sure they all start with a good charge.

trolling motor: if you can bring it then i would and spray inside of it with WD40 to help remove any moisture that could freeze or cause rust. i use a freshwater TM in saltwater and give it a WD40 spray after rinsing with the hose.

If you have a smart charger you can leave the batteries hooked up all winter as I do, but my tin stays in an uninsulated shed. I usually cover the boat and put a trouble light under the cover in the battery area just to provide a bit of heat (or to ease my mind) as it can get cold in E TN at times, below freezing is not uncommon but seldom bitterly cold.

The batteryminder smart charger can maintain several batteries by daisy chaining the leads, they are a bit pricey but I've used 'em for several years, I usually get 3-4 yrs from my TM batteries trolling for crappie 99% of the time.

I put the tm and batteries in the garage and put the battery tender on a couple times during winter. I rotate the battery tender between tm battery, motorcycle and lawn mower.

Make sure NOT to set the Batteries on Concrete! Place them on a piece of lumber. Harbor freight has Float Chargers for around $6.00 with a coupon. I use these on my garden tractor, Motorcycle, boat Batteries, & Jet ski. They work as well as a $30.00 Battery Tender. My original Motorcycle battery lasted 8 years using the H/F Charger.

Here is a nice little read, about setting your battery on concrete.
https://www.thebatteryterminal.com/TechTalk_Batteries_on_Concrete.htm

Latest posts