You are getting old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeaFaring said:
I started feeling old when Long forgotten injuries from high school sports came back as arthritis. I’m 35 and the cheapest gas I can remember was $0.77 a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember low 30 cents/gallon but only because I was working in a gaso station as a kid. I turn 66 this month. Gaso was still under a dollar/gallon when I was in college. I remember being in shock at having to pay 75 cents/gal during a trip through death valley in the 70's.

Oh, we didn't drink water out of bottles. We drank it out of whatever garden hose was handy.

PS: I'm getting up there but I have a ways to go before I'm a museum piece - I hope. :shock:

LDUBS said:
SeaFaring said:
I started feeling old when Long forgotten injuries from high school sports came back as arthritis. I’m 35 and the cheapest gas I can remember was $0.77 a gallon.

I remember low 30 cents/gallon but only because I was working in a gaso station as a kid. I turn 66 this month. Gaso was still under a dollar/gallon when I was in college. I remember being in shock at having to pay 75 cents/gal during a trip through death valley in the 70's.

Oh, we didn't drink water out of bottles. We drank it out of whatever garden hose was handy.

PS: I'm getting up there but I have a ways to go before I'm a museum piece - I hope. :shock:

I saw $0.77 on a road trip through Tennessee with my grandmother (who turns 89 this week) and asked her what the lowest price she’d ever seen was. She was on a road trip with her grandfather across the Texas panhandle when she was a girl and it was $0.06 a gallon!

She’s definitely not a museum piece. She and my grandfather still travel all over the world multiple times per year for speaking engagements, photography shows etc.

Scott F........ Ha Ha ........ I was just wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on Pennsylvania 6-5000. More importantly, I was wondering how OLD the "finder" would be.

I think a lot of the over-60-crowd either didn't read the post or have a memory problem NOW.

I don't remember MY phone number, but I do remember the phone number of my long-suffering wife (of 57 years) as Underhill 7-XXXX. As I recall, I called it 5 or 6 times every evening unless we were already together. Ahhhh sweet 16......she was.

I am just a young lad at 52. I grew up in the country and we didn't have all the new things that the cities were getting at the time. I remember gas at 35 cents and diesel was was around 25 cents per gallon. Our first TV was a 13" black and white that only had 4 channels. We used to go for car rides at night and listen to the stories they would tell on the radio at night.

richg99 said:
Scott F........ Ha Ha ........ I was just wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on Pennsylvania 6-5000. More importantly, I was wondering how OLD the "finder" would be.

I think a lot of the over-60-crowd either didn't read the post or have a memory problem NOW.

I don't remember MY phone number, but I do remember the phone number of my long-suffering wife (of 57 years) as Underhill 7-XXXX. As I recall, I called it 5 or 6 times every evening unless we were already together. Ahhhh sweet 16......she was.

So, I recognized the musical reference right away. But my first thought was “huh. I didn’t know song was about a phone number.”

Edward r murrow was a news caster
Sky king was on tv saturday morning
Amos and andy on radio, and green hornet
77 sunset strip tv show
Tombstone territory tv show

Ttexastom said:
Edward r murrow was a news caster
Sky king was on tv saturday morning
Amos and andy on radio, and green hornet
77 sunset strip tv show
Tombstone territory tv show

Sky King -- everyone I knew had a crush on Penny.

And then there was: "Kookie, lend me your comb"

B-B Gun fights, hacking a branch out of the neighbors ash tree to make a sling shot with bicycle inner tubes for the rubber bands, taking guns to school for "show and tell" then taking that gun to the woods after school to do some hunting, playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle, going to a friends house and standing by the back door and screeming his name at the top of your lungs to get him to come out to play, your friends dad tanning your hide if you messed up, mom always wore a dress, all boys tucked their shirt in and wore a belt, yes sir - no sir ... yes mam - no mam, please and thank you, the entire family sat at the supper table toghether every night with the phone off the hook and the 13" black and white TV turned off, I could go on but it's getting a bit dusty here remembering the good old days with MOM & DAD.

I remember being a pump jockey when gas was .37 cents a gallon, remember cussing the boss in me head....." it would be easier if it was .50 cents a gallon..." easier to add up the total price. Then I started to drive a couple years later and was thinking...."****, it is Highway robbery at .43 cents." Now I drive a beast of a truck at 12 mpg, and 3.07 for diesel.

HANGEYE said:
B-B Gun fights, hacking a branch out of the neighbors ash tree to make a sling shot with bicycle inner tubes for the rubber bands, taking guns to school for "show and tell" then taking that gun to the woods after school to do some hunting, playing cards in the spokes of your bicycle, going to a friends house and standing by the back door and screeming his name at the top of your lungs to get him to come out to play, your friends dad tanning your hide if you messed up, mom always wore a dress, all boys tucked their shirt in and wore a belt, yes sir - no sir ... yes mam - no mam, please and thank you, the entire family sat at the supper table toghether every night with the phone off the hook and the 13" black and white TV turned off, I could go on but it's getting a bit dusty here remembering the good old days with MOM & DAD.

This is how I remember it. I'm turning 53 this month and grew up in the 60's and 70's. We grew up on an apartment complex and never locked our door until after 9pm if we thought about it at all. I used to watch Orioles games on our black and white TV.
I had two paper routes and swept up at the barber shop. I felt like a tycoon because I had money to buy ice cream, skateboard and bike parts. :lol:

Simpler times. I feel bad for kids these days.

HANGEYE said:

Hangeye, I think you hit the nail right on the head. There were the Daisy guys and the Benjamin guys. The Benjamins had a kind of hinged pump to cock the BB gun. We had to prop the Daisy's against our knee cause we couldn't cock it without some leverage (actually the real reason may have been to avoid accidentally pulling the trigger before the lever was back down).

I remember using a clothespin to put playing cards in the spokes. We also used to take short sections of old leather belts and cut a slot & tab so we could wrap them loosely around the wheel hubs. That way they stayed shiny.

I remember the first color TVs. They were a kind of washed out blue/orange coloration and we thought they kind of sucked. 30 years from now the new old folks will be talking about remembering the first 48" plasma screen TVs and how they cost $10K. Haha.

Collecting soda bottles to cash them in for 2 cents a piece to buy 10 cent balsa wood airplanes or a paper kite and a ball of string both of which were a dime each too.
I took a shotgun to school once as a visual aid for a report I wrote about trap shooting. The police were not called, the school did not go on lockdown and I got an “A” on the report. At that same school, if you misbehaved, the teachers (nuns) would spank you with a big paddle. My parents never made a fuss with the school, they knew I probably deserved it.

Scott F said:
At that same school, if you misbehaved, the teachers (nuns) would spank you with a big paddle. My parents never made a fuss with the school, they knew I probably deserved it.

The bad part about that was that you knew you were going to get another spanking when you got home for getting the first one that day. Been there, done that.

A friend just shared these with me. They are a little too easy.

Attachments

• Image 12-8-17 at 3.38 PM.jpg
    Image 12-8-17 at 3.38 PM.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 980
  • Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM (1).jpg
    Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM (1).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 980
  • Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM (2).jpg
    Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM (2).jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 980
  • Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM.jpg
    Image 12-8-17 at 3.40 PM.jpg