You are getting old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eshaw said:
How many of you guys remember going to the post office to get Postage Due stamps?

I remember waiting in line at the bank to deposit my paycheck or to get cash out of my account. Pre-ATM days. And, I remember when the banks were only open from 9:00 - 3:00 Monday- Friday.

I remember my mom collecting S&H green stamps also. She also had to use a perculator for making coffee.

New River Rat said:
I remember gas at .27 or .29, but I wasn't driving then. Something I REALLY miss.....GAS WARS!

.18 per gallon in 1966. Gas war when I was stationed at Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro , NC

I used to get all kinds of stuff with these.
1293a6e3aa2b8b9a453c5b9ac841b208.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

My grandfather had a “party” phone line. Party meant the line was shared and I remember picking up the phone to call out and hearing someone else using the phone. I also remember a penny bag of candy which would more than satisfy your sugar crave. I remember when the family sat down for a meal and everyone communicated. Now you go into a restaurant to eat and everyone has their face buried in a smartphone, families don’t talk to each other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

67 Grad, Trinity 3141, I may have been at Woodstock (if anyone remembers it, they weren't there)

If you know who the yankee clipper was, and who he was married to
When remington released the model 700, and the new 7mm remington mag
When cars had tube type am radios
When martin milner played on route 66

Jim said:
sokyfishing said:
I used to get all kinds of stuff with these.
1293a6e3aa2b8b9a453c5b9ac841b208.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Yup, That's them! :beer:

Those are the newer stamp books. Moms were about 3 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall.

Dang folks this thread got me to thinking about my early childhood on a one horse farm in Middle Ga. where everybody
had a job even little kids , mine was to empty the slop jar first thing in the morning and bring in a skuttle of coal from the pile. Memories ? Oh man let me see.

Door knob on the three holer was an empty sewing thread spool
Hog killing , chitllin cleaning , riding a mule home from field , sitting at the end of row while my Dad plowed
Soap making in a washpot , sitting next to my Dad in a one horse wagon ( I can still hear the axel screech )
Smoke house , hay stacks on poles , homemade shirts from flour sacks
Tater hill in the back yard , winnowing peas ( you put 'em in a croaker sack and beat 'em with a stick then threw in the air with a big
round white oak basket tray looking deal , breeze blew the chaff away )
Baths on back porch in a wash tub , sisters went first I was last. water bucket on shelf back porch , gourd dipper

These folks that want to go back to homesteading days and be self sufficient have no idea , been there done that . In retrospect
I'm kinda glad I got to live that , everything after even until this day has been a piece of cake .

billres said:
Dang folks this thread got me to thinking about my early childhood on a one horse farm in Middle Ga. where everybody
had a job even little kids , mine was to empty the slop jar first thing in the morning and bring in a skuttle of coal from the pile. Memories ? Oh man let me see.

Hog killing , chitllin cleaning , riding a mule home from field , sitting at the end of row while my Dad plowed
Soap making in a washpot , sitting next to my Dad in a one horse wagon ( I can still hear the axel screech )
Tater hill in the back yard , winnowing peas ( you put 'em in a croaker sack and beat 'em with a stick then threw in the air with a big
Baths on back porch in a wash tub , sisters went first I was last. water bucket on shelf back porch , gourd dipper

These folks that want to go back to homesteading days and be self sufficient have no idea , been there done that . In retrospect
I'm kinda glad I got to live that , everything after even until this day has been a piece of cake .

Who was president while you were growing up? Abe Lincoln?

billres said:

My grandparents have a farm that’s basically set up that way, although that’s not how they live (they’ve added amenities over the years, but when I was a kid, the outhouse was still there, and they never lived there full time although my ancestors did).

My wife also grew up in similar circumstances with select additions (like running water, but no central heat - just wood, split by hand).

My father in law/tin boat supplier tells a story of back in the 1970s when a couple of folks out of Chicago came to their area to “live off the land.” They **** near starved to death that winter and fortunately for them, were able to borrow what they needed off of the local farmers.

I’m glad I get to learn some lessons from people who lived that, and hear good stories, but have not had to figure it all out on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billres sounds like me and you grew up next door to each other. That was a good description of how it was here in northeast georgia, early 1960's