You are getting old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember going to the local drugstore and ordering myself cherry phosphates at 10 cents a pop, no pun intended. Or riding in the car that only had lap belts in it that you didn't have to wear because you were riding around in the back window shelf above the seat. Or digging through my collection of 78 rpm records. Pops were a dime then also and there were no cans that I remember, just glass bottles, little short ones. I remember some of the candy then too, Black Cow, Cherry Mash, Bazooka Bubble Gum, the list goes on!

eshaw said:
I remember going to the local drugstore and ordering myself cherry phosphates at 10 cents a pop, no pun intended. Or riding in the car that only had lap belts in it that you didn't have to wear because you were riding around in the back window shelf above the seat. Or digging through my collection of 78 rpm records. Pops were a dime then also and there were no cans that I remember, just glass bottles, little short ones. I remember some of the candy then too, Black Cow, Cherry Mash, Bazooka Bubble Gum, the list goes on!

Oh man. Big Hunk candy bars. Capable of pulling the fillings right out of your teeth.

Ring a bell?

Queen for a Day
Arthur Godfrey
Tennessee Ernie Ford
The $64,000 Question
20 Mule Team Borax
Nellie Bell
Albert Schweitzer
Whitewalls – Tires and haircuts
Chuck Yeager
JC Higgins
Everyone old enough knows exactly where he or she was 54 years ago on November 22.

One of my prized possessions was a model of the USS Nautilus. Wish I still had it.

I remember most of those from when I was a kid, although they were definitely on their way out.

This is what we had instead of Woolworths:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._C._Murphy

Here’s another question: who has a landline telephone in their home? (I don’t)

Who has a television that is well used but has no antenna, cable, or satellite connection (I do).

Cord cutters FTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a landline in my home. It is only used for my broadband internet connection. I could hook up a landline phone to it if I had to. I do have a landline phone but do not have it connected to the line.

I have a TV that has no cable TV, antenna's or satellite dish hooked to it. I have my desktop connected to it with an HDMI cable. I have 2 LED monitors and my TV connected to my desktop computer. It is great when comparing products from different websites at the same time. I can also watch movies and videos while surfing the net at the same time.

SeaFaring said:
I remember most of those from when I was a kid, although they were definitely on their way out.

This is what we had instead of Woolworths:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._C._Murphy

Who has a television that is well used but has no antenna, cable, or satellite connection (I do).

Cord cutters FTW!

I have a landline and couldn't tell you what the number is without looking.

Ok, I need to ask how your TV works. What are you using for programming? And don't tell me you have a basement full of Betamax cassettes. :LOL2:

LDUBS said:
SeaFaring said:

Cord cutters FTW!

I have a landline and couldn't tell you what the number is without looking.

Ok, I need to ask how your TV works. What are you using for programming? And don't tell me you have a basement full of Betamax cassettes. [emoji38]2:

Laserdisc! Not really.

I have an Amazon Firestick and I stream everything. I’ve also got a Blu-ray player, but I don’t use it much. They’re even starting to stream live sports, but I haven’t really been into that since I had season Redskins tickets in 2010. Jim Zorn and Daniel Snyder kind of conspired to ruin sports for me, which made giving up traditional TV a lot easier.

Hooking up a computer like KMixson is appealing, but I think I’ve kind of maxed out my wife’s tolerance for electronics in the living room. At least there’s still room for fishing tackle!

A good friend sent these to me. :)

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD
1) Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
2) Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
3) When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're down there.
4) You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.
5) It's frustrating when you know all the answers but nobody bothers to ask you the questions.
6) Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.
7) Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.

THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:
1) You believe in Santa Claus.
2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
3) You are Santa Claus.
4) You look like Santa Claus.

SeaFaring said:
Laserdisc! Not really.

I have an Amazon Firestick and I stream everything. I’ve also got a Blu-ray player, but I don’t use it much. They’re even starting to stream live sports, but I haven’t really been into that since I had season Redskins tickets in 2010. Jim Zorn and Daniel Snyder kind of conspired to ruin sports for me, which made giving up traditional TV a lot easier.

Hooking up a computer like KMixson is appealing, but I think I’ve kind of maxed out my wife’s tolerance for electronics in the living room. At least there’s still room for fishing tackle!

I pay a lot (too much) for cable TV. Something like the Firestick is appealing. I took a look after reading your comment but I got frustrated real fast. It isn't clear what the total cost would be. Amazon's ad copy says thousands of channels are available but it doesn't mention if an added cost applies to access those channels. I'm sure those thousands of channels are not available for free. I know cable channels like HBO & Showtime have a monthly fee. I'm sure other popular channels cost something. I couldn't find a comprehensive list. Additionally, using the History channel as an example, it isn't clear if the access is to a bunch of reruns or includes current programming. So, before I would switch, I would like to make an apples to apples comparison. Too bad that doing so is a frustrating and difficult thing. Maybe I'm just not searching correctly. Who knows.

Firestick ????

Larry - get yourself an old B&W 90 pound TV, balance it on a rickety, wobbly metal TV tray,
put a yard of aluminum foil on the rabbit ears and slap the fool out of it when it starts to get fuzzy
and the sound drifts in and out....... 4 channels at the most.
and early Saturday morning, let your grandkids stare at the Test Pattern while waiting for their cartoons to come on . . .
then - they "might" appreciate dial-up internet and basic cable tv.

tv.jpg

I'm jus sayin

This is basically how it works. There are not really broadcast channels that show things at a particular time. You pick which episode you want to watch when.

My family already has Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu, so there’s a huge body of movies and TV that’s included with those.

You can add premium channels like HBO or Starz for a monthly fee comparable to what they cost with cable.

Individual movies that are not included in one of your packages can usually be rented for a few days for between $2 and $8 or bought for $10-$20 dollars. These are usually newer big budget things like the Marvel Cinematic Universe series. Where it can get expensive is if you want to watch current TV shows like The Americans as they come out. They might be included in a package when they’re a year or two old, but to buy a season as it comes out can be $40 or so.

With the exception of HBO and its brethren, you’re generally not required to buy a particular channel to get access to its programming.

If you combine Amazon Prime with a Netflix subscription, you have access to an enormous amount of content without having to buy it a la carte. The fire stick lets you access your streaming subscriptions in one place and search across all of them with one interface. Even with everything added together, this all costs considerably less than cable if you assume that you would have Amazon Prime and broadband internet anyway (and so don’t count those costs against streaming).

I actually do have a regular TV antenna in case I want local TV for some reason, but I don’t think I’ve used it in over a year.

Wow you guys actually have internet that let's you stream ? I'm sure it's all you people that are making mine run like a telegraph system.... I gotta move back to the city....

Let's keep getting off topic, since at 36, I can't relate to most of what is being spoken of. I did grow up poor though, and I believe we were the ONLY household who didn't have cable TV (or satellite, since we were farmers WAY outside of town), nor a VCR, nor a microwave in our kitchen...
...Anyway, back off topic - I still live in the country, and the only option available to me for internet is satellite internet. Phone lines don't even run to my house, and cable certainly doesn't. I dumped satellite TV years ago, since I end up watching less than 5 channels, yet with a satellite subscription you pay for dozens of sports channels. I don't even watch or follow sports of any kind. I'm a Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime subscriber. But in my situation, I feel poor again, as satellite internet is slow, and you have a data limit. So the only way I can watch TV is by often times waiting for it to buffer, and also severely limiting my time as about 60 hours a month runs me out of internet data. Oh the struggles of modern technology.

CN...you are in the boonies, and that might not be all bad. City or suburban life has some advantages, but crowds, traffic, and noise are not among them.

As far as your TV watching....I don't know how far you are from any cities...but have you looked into OTA antennas?

OTA (Over the air) for those not familiar with it, is a government mandated ....FREE and legal..... HD transmission system of the main, regular TV channels. No GOLF Channel, HDTV or ESPN. But, you do get High Definition (HD) NBC; CBS; ABC and Fox, along with a lot of UHF and Movie channels.

I normally would have no use for OTA, but, when we go back and forth from TX to TN, there are always a few days when the cable system isn't yet hooked up. To fill in the gap, and have some news and weather channels, I bought a $50.00 LEAF powered antenna. I get SOME TV during those few days. I only get one major channel, and also tons of Bible; Hispanic; Oriental, and other non-mainstream channels, all for free.

My LEAF antenna is mounted right behind my TV on ground level, so it has no height to speak of. A friend who lives a short way away gets ALL of the free channels by having his OTA antenna up in his attic. Now, we are only 30/35 miles away from the main antenna array. Your distance will vary.

If you haven't yet checked it out, it would be worth a look, IMHO.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-over-the-air-antenna-for-free-hd-1569752514

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00APPDX86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New River Rat said:
Funny, paying for TV or ice or water.....what's next, oxygen?

Ahhh it may be closer than we think. People in China buy fresh air that is canned and shipped from Canada. You can buy some air too on line. $32 for 8L. Oxygen is about $55 for two 5L cans.

Crazy stuff! :shock:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 6.36.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 6.36.56 PM.png
    135.5 KB · Views: 948
Johnny said:
Firestick ????

Larry - get yourself an old B&W 90 pound TV, balance it on a rickety, wobbly metal TV tray,
put a yard of aluminum foil on the rabbit ears and slap the fool out of it when it starts to get fuzzy
and the sound drifts in and out....... 4 channels at the most.
and early Saturday morning, let your grandkids stare at the Test Pattern while waiting for their cartoons to come on . . .
then - they "might" appreciate dial-up internet and basic cable tv.

View attachment 1

I'm jus sayin

Oh man. Johnny, your post made me think of the vacuum tube test stations. My Dad would take the tubes to the grocery store to test them. The replacements were in a shelf under the test cabinet or whatever it was called.

Like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 6.54.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 6.54.43 PM.png
    221.4 KB · Views: 945
Ha....as a 17 year old, I made a few bucks doing exactly that. Taking tubes to the corner store, testing them, and replacing the bad ones. When I went big time, I bought my OWN tester!

Latest posts