1648 Alumacraft Mod/Redo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabownut

Reaction score
Alright been lurking and poking around on here awhile figured Id put mine up . I got this boat about 4 years ago from a farm I hunt laying behind a barn , and wish I had pics of it then #-o bad shape wouldnt even begin to tell the story .

Well 2 cans of marinetex , lots of paint etc... all the leaks got fixed . Decked it out before but used untreated plywood and wood frame which of course got waterlogged and rotted this past year , and was never satisfied anyways as last time was done in a hurry and we allknow how that ends up :roll: .

Shes all electric with 2 36 volt motors right now and would do about 6 mph before LOL , but with plans on getting a true elctric outboard in next year or so , still justifying the $3800 price tag with the mrs . . Didnt get any pics before we gutted it again , the middle seat stayed due to livewell and already have pump in/recirc system in and it comes in handy for bracing on deck . Cut out one side to facilitate rod box.

Attachments

• boat pics.jpg
    boat pics.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,711
Here it is with most of the front deck bracing in , picked up the aluminum from a place called BMG metals here not far from the house for $13 a 21ft stick which I think was pretty good , then picked up some 2" al angle drops they had for just about nothing and used it to make L brackets for attaching .with 1/4"diam x 3/8" head self tapping screws . Most of the spaces between bracing will be hatches for storage etc...

Attachments

• boat pics 2.jpg
    boat pics 2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2,708
Here is the back deck which I extended forward 18" , left open underneath for partners to store their stuff , cut out hatches in back seat and installed rubbermaid containers from walley world with bulkhead fittings installed for drains and filled around outside with handifoam for 2 built in coolers . Containers were 16x12x13 and dang it takes alot of foam :LOL2: Oh and pics arent the greatest their being taken with my phone .

Attachments

• boat pic 3.jpg
    boat pic 3.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,708
And here is a partially completed front deck still have to carpet a few hatches and the sides then can screw it all down , install motor bracket ,switch panel etc..... The rod box is made from standing seam roofing metal and will get carpeted and can hold up to a 8' rod , "handy having bro in laws that are roofing/sheetmetal mechanics " which this is his garage and has just about every woodworking and sheetmetal tool you could imagine except a mig gun or tig welder :?

Attachments

• boat pic 4.jpg
    boat pic 4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,708
Nice work. A few months ago, they were selling the Briggs motors for $600 on ebay.

Yea those are "ok" but not much better than a motorguide 105 . And from what Ive heard not very reliable . this is the one a few guys I fish against are running andpushes them about 10-12mph in 18-20' boats but not looking to spent what they ask for them . https://oemc.biz/motors/whisper-xt.html there is a new one one coming out soon by ecycle I believe that is supposed to be the chit for about $3000

Heres a pic of how im semi hiding the hings by routing and attaching before carpeting. All the wood is treated and got a double does of Flood water sealer before work was done.

Attachments

• boat pic 5.jpg
    boat pic 5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,646
Heres a pic of my lexan secondary lid for the livewell , anyone who fishes tourneys and has had one come airborne while culling or trying to bag your fish after opening the lidwill appreciate this .

Attachments

• boat pic 6.jpg
    boat pic 6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,645

Latest posts