1648 Semi-V Jon Mod (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offset support pin arrived this weekend. I think this will work out great. Ordered another one for the front.

Attachments

• 2012-03-11 19.18.36.jpg
    2012-03-11 19.18.36.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,543
  • 2012-03-11 19.19.20.jpg
    2012-03-11 19.19.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,543
MY MOD IS DONE!!! (for the most part...couple bolts here and there is all that's left)

My final mod video. Thanks to all that gave me tips and advice during this project. (especially Jay415 and Gillhunter)
[youtube]bpz5agpC0Jk[/youtube]
After today any pics or video's will be on the water fishing and testing it out...today was 70 degrees...so it won't be long...maybe this weekend hopefully.

Looks great Kevin! Nice job! Funny I have the same exact net in the same spot. I added clips (similar to what you use stow your nav light) on the rib uprights to hold it.

Jay415 said:
Looks great Kevin! Nice job! Funny I have the same exact net in the same spot. I added clips (similar to what you use stow your nav light) on the rib uprights to hold it.

Thanks! That's a good idea clipping the net in place....will keep it from flying out when trailering down the road. Where'd u get the clips?

I keep looking at what you guys are doing to your rides and I think that's a neat idea I should do that, if I did that I would never get any fishing in. :lol:

Nice build I like what you have done, thanks for sharing

KevinWI said:
Jay415 said:

Thanks! That's a good idea clipping the net in place....will keep it from flying out when trailering down the road. Where'd u get the clips?

I picked them up at my local marine supply.

Here is a vid of the livewell in operation....also my "Bait tamer" arrived, so it gives a good idea to utilize the livewell for both fish and bait.

For a tour of the finished boat, see the vid I posted a few posts up from here.

[youtube]VomZzhAFChQ[/youtube]

That live well is sweet Kevin! I miss the days of being able to fish with live bait. We don't have bait shops out here like back there in Wisconsin. I can still smell that aroma of a the old bait shops in MN with all the suckers, chubs, fatheads, crappie minnows, shiners and leeches. My two little boys would love to play around in one of those shops. I have some great memories as a kid of being woken by my father at 2-3 am to go fishing and then stopping at those bait shops at the crack of dawn :)

Johny25 said:
That live well is sweet Kevin! I miss the days of being able to fish with live bait. We don't have bait shops out here like back there in Wisconsin. I can still smell that aroma of a the old bait shops in MN with all the suckers, chubs, fatheads, crappie minnows, shiners and leeches. My two little boys would love to play around in one of those shops. I have some great memories as a kid of being woken by my father at 2-3 am to go fishing and then stopping at those bait shops at the crack of dawn :)
That's what it's all about! was a boat boy at my folks resort growing up...live bait to customers was part of my job.

So ok...I took my boat out today for it's maiden voyage.....really looked forward to testing it out.

Here's a list of what went wrong:

1) we got on the water and I soon discovered that the fill pump for the livewell wasn't pumping. I can hear the motor running, but no water was getting to the tank. it was a good thing that I filled it before we left with the hose to keep the bait alive. Aerator worked fine.
2)I got a snag and my rod broke in half within 5 minutes of fishing....had 2 backups, so not a huge deal, but still...it sucked.

3) after fishing for awhile, my fishing buddy said he could see water under the floorboards forward of the mid seat....but back by me there was none. the boat was front heavy, even w/motor, gas tank, battery and me in the back. I have a leak...and it's a significant leak.....probably pumped 15 gallons out after we got home....don't have any idea where it's coming in...but can guess it's the side drain that was installed in a way that I just didn't like.

4) my fish locator ....couldn't really use it...screen was just cluttered in color...tried to adjust the sensitivity, but it didn't help...only could use down imaging...which was pretty clear.

This is what testing is all about.

What went right:

Attachments

• 2012-03-18 20.35.58.jpg
    2012-03-18 20.35.58.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,568
  • 2012-03-18 20.29.11.jpg
    2012-03-18 20.29.11.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,567
  • 2012-03-18 17.53.17.jpg
    2012-03-18 17.53.17.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,567
  • 2012-03-18 16.44.16.jpg
    2012-03-18 16.44.16.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,567
  • 2012-03-18 18.06.19.jpg
    2012-03-18 18.06.19.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,567
Hey awesome build! I watched your youtube videos and it turned out great. We virtually have almost the same build. I am doing an alumacraft 1648.

Where did you get your switch panels from? Also I was wondering if I could contact you in regards to the livewell plumbing. I am kind of nervous to drill holes in the bottom of my boat, so I want to make sure im not doing something stupid lol

Congrats on the fish.

Sorry to hear about the leak. Any chance your fill pump brought the water into the boat but didn't make it to the livewell? Maybe you have it wired backwards?

first thing I checked...red to brown wire...black to negative. stuck a hose on the back this morning....water flowed fine into livewell. Found the leak I think...where I thought it might be...drain at side of boat. I didn't like it the way they installed it and my fears appear verified....it's at the marina now getting looked at.

Latest posts